Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

When is VE in control vs. MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 9 responses in 2 hours! Thanks guys and especially Foff for the link.

Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
i did this on holty's truck and it worked great for a day. Then it decided to not play nice after i left. Is their a status bit or something we can put in the table watch and be sure it is switching between the 2. You know besides the maf code that is thrown. Which brings the question...once the maf code is thrown, will the pcm revert back to using the maf INSTANTLY once you go below the maf hrtz fail rate? I ask because the code is staying there for sure.
You have to disable the code completely so that nothing is reported, on the status bit not sure never had to use it.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if no error is reported wouldnt that leave the maf functional?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
Not sure thats where the status bit would come in, I havent messed with it much to be honest. I wont tune an FI setup without a map that can read boost and proper OS.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
yeah...02sierraz71_5.3...2 questions here (we are sorta on topic w/Duct tape's question being answered already)

1) fine tuning the maf y setting the high rpm rate low would be great. That seems answered.

2) second is, for a part maf/ve settings. 1bar, no need to screw with it. 2bar though, I want to set the fail rate lower like say 8000hrtz. But if I turn that code off, it will never fail. So, code to report-check. pass 8000hrtz and code sets and pcm goes full SD-check. Now when maf reads below 8000hrtz again (code still set) will it instantly revert back to maf/ve "normal" settings/readings? thus letting me run a limited maf tune.

I guess it will really, cuz plenty of people have "maxed" their maf's and once they let off the throttle it goes back to maf. right?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
or you can lower the fail over hz so anytime the maf reads over a set amount it goes to solely Ve table, this is good for boosted apps with a map that cant read positive pressure
I think you meant to say with a map that can read positive pressure. If it can't, it's 1 bar, and it would be nuts to fail the MAF on a boosted 1 bar MAP setup.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dc_justin
I think you meant to say with a map that can read positive pressure. If it can't, it's 1 bar, and it would be nuts to fail the MAF on a boosted 1 bar MAP setup.
thanks for ketching that
Old 02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Once the MAF has failed, the PCM will not reactive it when you go back under that value, at least not until you restart the vehicle and it goes through the test to determine if something is failing again or not. Since at start up the MAF Fail of 8000hz has not been exceeded, it will activate the MAF until it exceeds that value. By setting the MAF Fail to 8000hz, the PCM will switch to SD mode until the car is restarted. So after every WOT run, turn off your truck and restart it to drive in MAF mode again. That is what that fail mode does.

I will have to check again, but I believe there is a setting for enabling/disabling steady state MAF fueling. Bill (foff667) may have to look into this, as I am away from my tuning software at the moment.

As to the original question:
The VE is used during mild to agressive throttle transitions, where the MAF would be too slow to respond on low speed airflow areas (like putting around town going from stop light to stop light). Hence why it is crucial to tune the VE first as it is the foundation for unstable throttle fueling, which if untuned can lead to lean transition until the MAF kicks in, resulting in knock retard when you initially get on it. The MAF controls all steady state (cruising on the freeway at 60mph) and WOT above 4000 rpms.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
yeah...02sierraz71_5.3...2 questions here (we are sorta on topic w/Duct tape's question being answered already)

1) fine tuning the maf y setting the high rpm rate low would be great. That seems answered.

2) second is, for a part maf/ve settings. 1bar, no need to screw with it. 2bar though, I want to set the fail rate lower like say 8000hrtz. But if I turn that code off, it will never fail. So, code to report-check. pass 8000hrtz and code sets and pcm goes full SD-check. Now when maf reads below 8000hrtz again (code still set) will it instantly revert back to maf/ve "normal" settings/readings? thus letting me run a limited maf tune.

I guess it will really, cuz plenty of people have "maxed" their maf's and once they let off the throttle it goes back to maf. right?
Ill admit I havent messed with it much its an idea I had but I havent played with it. Foff has a point with not reporting the error and it not failing over to be honest Ive never tried it and bit logged so I can tell if it actually is failing over even though the DTC isnt reported. I was under the impression that even though the DTC isnt reported it could still fail over but I could be wrong.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Once the MAF has failed, the PCM will not reactive it when you go back under that value, at least not until you restart the vehicle and it goes through the test to determine if something is failing again or not. Since at start up the MAF Fail of 8000hz has not been exceeded, it will activate the MAF until it exceeds that value. By setting the MAF Fail to 8000hz, the PCM will switch to SD mode until the car is restarted. So after every WOT run, turn off your truck and restart it to drive in MAF mode again. That is what that fail mode does.

ARGHGHGHH!!! Then how the hell are some people "supposedly" running these 2bar/maf combo tunes where this is exactly what is happening..."supposedly".

I played with a truck and it "seemed" to work for me, failing and returning. SInce I didn't know of a bit staus to use, I just made the MAF like +35% rich after my fail hrtz. Then I tuned it in SD making everything before 8000hrtz some what lean, around 3 to 5% lean. Then re-enabled the maf and tuned it so the tune was fairly spot on. Then I ran it hard. It would not go super rich (obviously due to fail rate) but it stayed spot on during normal driving. Leaving me to believe it was following the maf which i tuned fairly spot on earlier versus SD which was fairly lean. And also left believing the failing of the MAF was only temperarly. Worked well for a day. Next day it went back to as you are describing(which quiet frankly is what I always expected it to do, but "supposedly" others have it working.

Quick Reply: When is VE in control vs. MAF?