Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Who has problems with hot starts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am currenlty running the beta. I've tried tweaking the airflow tables and stock seems to work the best. I put everything back to stock to start fresh. I then started tweaking the FA mult stage 1 table and that has helped a lot. I just wish I knew what that table does..
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
408_Tune.hpt (501.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your cranking ve tables are a lot richer the main ve's that's where i would start.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What fuel pump are you running?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

and the way your lower ve on the main ve tables falls off from 60- 105 kpa at 400 rpms will contribute to stubble. With it like that the pcm will pull fuel until it dies off. It will cause a lot of idle surge, you want to add ve to the 400 rpm table so when it fall below the desired idle the pcm will add fuel and timing to correct the error. Now I am not a pro but that looks like a problem to me. Look at some stock tunes and you will see the spike upwards in ve to correct idle
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I DO!! I don't know if this is a symptom of the larger than stock cam or if it can be tuned out. I have asked a few times over on the hptuners forum but it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to reply.

With the mods in my sig, should I have such a hard time starting my truck in hot weather? I've used the search and can't find any good advice on how to combat this in the tune.. Usually it takes several cranks of the key to get it to fire. The two logs below are pretty good starts but thrity minutes before I made the logs, it acted like it wasn't even going to start at the grocery store. Sometimes it will fire one or two cylinders and not start. Any ideas?

yep been having problems with this since i installed the 220/220 just gotta blip the throttle on start up a few times while its cranking. not really sure what it is. Did you get your idle raised?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is one of the best help pages that I know of for idle tuning
Idle Tuning How-To & Guide (w/pictures) - HP Tuners Bulletin Board
Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

From looking at your tune, I'd say you need to add a decent amount to your startup airflow initial table in the 176-212 cells. Try starting at a value of .3 and then adjusting it up or down from there. Also add ten or twenty percent to your friction airflow initial table. See what that does for you. Like it is now, you have no initial airflow at running temps in your startup table, which usually does not work.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry guys, I don't know how I missed these responses. I will post up the current tune so you all can take a look. Seems like anything I change doesn't help any.

What fuel pump are you running?
I'm running the stock fuel pump.

and the way your lower ve on the main ve tables falls off from 60- 105 kpa at 400 rpms will contribute to stubble. With it like that the pcm will pull fuel until it dies off. It will cause a lot of idle surge, you want to add ve to the 400 rpm table so when it fall below the desired idle the pcm will add fuel and timing to correct the error. Now I am not a pro but that looks like a problem to me. Look at some stock tunes and you will see the spike upwards in ve to correct idle
I'm not having problems with idle. It idles like a champ.

yep been having problems with this since i installed the 220/220 just gotta blip the throttle on start up a few times while its cranking. not really sure what it is. Did you get your idle raised?
Did you ever figure out a solution?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who knows what their pulsewidths are during cranking at operating temp?? Mine are about 50% higher than my pulsewidths at idle. I read on FAST's site that is where they should be but i'm still seeing hard starts.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try modifying the cranking fuel multipliers instead of modifying the cranking VE, as they are based on ECT (whereas cranking VE isn't).

Quick Reply: Who has problems with hot starts?