Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Who's running E85?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are a flex fuel, there is a sensor that detects the mix of fuel and adjusts accordingly. Whether that can be added and tuned in for a non-FF truck, I have no idea.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
If you are a flex fuel, there is a sensor that detects the mix of fuel and adjusts accordingly. Whether that can be added and tuned in for a non-FF truck, I have no idea.
They did away with the sensor and the ECM use an algorithm to determine the composition of the fuel. Mine is not a flex-fuel but it looks like I could turn it on in ECM. Not for sure how it would work though being heavily modified.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with TX_Tahoe
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scooter k
They did away with the sensor and the ECM use an algorithm to determine the composition of the fuel. Mine is not a flex-fuel but it looks like I could turn it on in ECM. Not for sure how it would work though being heavily modified.
If you are on stock fuel system which I think you are you need a whole fuel system re-do for e85. magnavolt or not.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetttstream
If you are on stock fuel system which I think you are you need a whole fuel system re-do for e85. magnavolt or not.
I'm on a custom Lonnie's fuel system. Dual pumps, teflon lines, return system, and custom Lonnie's fuel rails. I'm at the point now where I can run
E85 but will need to upgrade to larger injectors. I think I've got the fuel system to support it just need to make up my mind. Right now I'm wondering if it is going consisent enough to mess with. I don't mind checking fuel everytime I fill up but it will be a pain if I have to mix it all the time.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Oh awesome. I thought you were just using a magnavolt!

Do you have a dyno or 1/4 mile number to compare too? I guess what are you looking for besides worse mileage? 50hp? Will you tune this or does joe tune it or someone else?

And as far as mixing all the time what do you mean? Here in MI to my knowledge it is like e70 vs e85 more often than e85...
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just running off the fuel pump control module and a hefty spray of meth.

I haven't dynoed it under the current configuration. I've been talking with Alvin alot and he has done some and seen good #'s. The mileage doesn't concern me much. Alvin has been tuning on it via email. I would like to have it done on a dyno but can't really find anyone. I would need to go somewhere but alot of shops won't do E85 pump tunes on high boost vehicles. I've asked Alvin to fly over here and do it but I don't think he's in on that. I haven't consistently checked it here yet. At work I have but that isn't know for sure what customers have in the tank. They could have mixed it with regular fuel so I'm really not for sure what it runs here. I'm going to get some today and take it with me tomorrow to check.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Here is a tester I have used

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-36-E85/

If you were turbo or centrif I would say go for it. I would say finish tuning the truck and enjoy it for a while rather than swap injectors, retune, and be stuck with e85. Myself, I do my own tuning and e85 is plentiful in MI as well as 1/4 mile tracks and dynos. Would say stick to the 93 octane and meth, and enjoy it. I am constantly changing things too, but sometimes it's nice to just settle in. Maybe wait a year or so. Does it feel slow or something that you need a change? Last I checked a forged LS2 and tvs2300 is a stout combo!

-Mike
Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Here is a tester I have used

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-36-E85/

If you were turbo or centrif I would say go for it. I would say finish tuning the truck and enjoy it for a while rather than swap injectors, retune, and be stuck with e85. Myself, I do my own tuning and e85 is plentiful in MI as well as 1/4 mile tracks and dynos. Would say stick to the 93 octane and meth, and enjoy it. I am constantly changing things too, but sometimes it's nice to just settle in. Maybe wait a year or so. Does it feel slow or something that you need a change? Last I checked a forged LS2 and tvs2300 is a stout combo!

-Mike
I've been using the GM composition tester. Works great but overpriced. I'm not for sure what it costs but betting 700-800 new. My buddy just got one at a GM dealership auction for $15. He said no one there had any idea of what it was for and he was the only one that did.

I want to leave it alone and just drive it but I don't know if I will ever be satisfied? When I installed it and ran 10psi it was fine. I ran more boost and it really hasn't ever felt alot better. I did 16psi on the meth this last summer and it really didn't feel much better then 10psi. I found out this fall, with Joe's help, that my bypass was opening. I could really only see 16psi on a slower accel and took forever to get there. Anyway my intake and maf was restricting it. I've got a 4" maf and intake setup to install. Over this winter I'm working on the fuel system, intake, and I've removed the blower and had lower intake ports CNCed. Mine came from Magnacharger with "tear drop" style ports. I'm not for sure why but Joe said they have better tuneability with those ports on lower boost levels. Anyway he recommended having the extra material removed if I was going to try to run more boost then 10psi.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

You can still use STFT & LTFT's for the variations in fuel for a Daily Driver. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when the computer can do it for you.

Quick Reply: Who's running E85?