Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

"Wideband O2's" Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Wideband O2's" Which one?

I have read numerous posts on this website about the different widebands and I still can't make a decision on which one to get. I am leaning towards the AEM or the Innovate LC1 w/ XD16 gauge. I plan on using it for tuning with EFI Live. I would also like to have the 2 1/16 style gauge type so I can monitor my A/F. I have physically seen both and the AEM looks to be the simpler of the two by far. A very neat and clean setup. The Innovate LC1 looks to be quite a bit more sophisticated. You have alot more wires and a software CD so the installation looks to be much more complicated. One thing I am not to excited about (LC1) is the big cable that connects to the O2 that will be underneath the truck and it has to be ran through the firwall. As far as replacement O2's, can you use the OEM VW one for both the AEM and LC1? There is not that big of a price difference between the two so that is not a major consideration. I don't know which one to get. PLEASE help me out with this decision! I want to get the right one for what I want to use it for. THANKS for your help!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maaan, after this thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=384242

I have been scared into possibly not buying the AEM since it can't be recalibrated..... Does make sense that it needs to be able to be recalibrated in free air..... If the sensor is the only crap part that goes out then that isn't so bad.... Sensors aren't that much $$$.. Noone ever finished up the other post on this topic.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the same question. I will be tuning with HP Tuners soon and would like to eventually get a wideband. I heard there are problems with the LC1, but I can't decide on what else to get. AEM, NGK, PLX they all look like good units so any opinions or experiences would be helpful.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shimp
Maaan, after this thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=384242

I have been scared into possibly not buying the AEM since it can't be recalibrated..... Does make sense that it needs to be able to be recalibrated in free air..... If the sensor is the only crap part that goes out then that isn't so bad.... Sensors aren't that much $$$.. Noone ever finished up the other post on this topic.
I know what you mean....I was ready to buy the AEM, which I like for it's simplicity and looks, until I saw that post. I just want to buy what will work the best for what I need to use it for!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckmann
I have the same question. I will be tuning with HP Tuners soon and would like to eventually get a wideband. I heard there are problems with the LC1, but I can't decide on what else to get. AEM, NGK, PLX they all look like good units so any opinions or experiences would be helpful.
I have never seen the PLX but I don't care for the NGK only because I want the 2 1/16" gauge type monitor.

Truckmann, we need all the guys that tune with EFI Live and HP Tuners (w/ widebands) to post up their experience and opinions, like you said.

Come on guys...Help us new tuners out!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

The PLX SM-AFR looks like a good unit and it is available with a round gauge. It's tought to decide what to buy I don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up with a POS..
Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckmann
The PLX SM-AFR looks like a good unit and it is available with a round gauge. It's tought to decide what to buy I don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up with a POS..
I will have to check one out. Thanks for the info.

I know exactly where you are coming from!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the PLX SM-AFR, it's rocks.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the XD-16/LC-1 setup. It is a pain to set up if you try to wing it. (Which I did) If you follow the instructions step by step It really not that bad.

I dont have any experience with the other units. If you do get the Innovate and run into issues, shoot me a PM and I can try to help. I found out how important the free air calibration was. LOL! If you dont do it right, it looks good at idle but in boost it reads WAY off. Check it out:
http://media.putfile.com/100-1408
After a free air cal it was good to go.

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 01-27-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I purchased an autometer one, it was pretty cheep slightly more than the AEM one and if you want your gauges to match it has others in the same series. But I still trying figure out how to wire it to use the additional features.