Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

"Wideband O2's" Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the autometer support calibrate feature? If not according to that post you are in danger of getting false AFR readings...... that is scary... I would rather deal with a PITA peice of junk WB O2 as long I knew it was right when it was recalibrated...

Someone who has experience with all of these units should weigh-in here. We need to know which one to buy. Maybe I will take it upon myself this week to go out and gather literature, specs, and reviews of all of these evil wideband O2 kits.... and post it all here for comparison.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shimp
Does the autometer support calibrate feature? If not according to that post you are in danger of getting false AFR readings...... that is scary... I would rather deal with a PITA peice of junk WB O2 as long I knew it was right when it was recalibrated...

Someone who has experience with all of these units should weigh-in here. We need to know which one to buy. Maybe I will take it upon myself this week to go out and gather literature, specs, and reviews of all of these evil wideband O2 kits.... and post it all here for comparison.

we are in the same boat

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=384547
Old 01-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

TurboJohn
yes the 02 sensors are VW
Most of the WB o2 have a analog out that you can use on round guages like aeroforce or dynotune.

Like 1 Slow said -calibration and the access to do it at will Is the answer.

Sometimes the lack money spent could give you what you may not need-a engine !
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think it's a question of money.
All of the brands listed are in the same price range in fact I think the LC-1 can be found for the cheapest price, but I hear it is a pain to hook up and the sensors tend to burn up. So the question still is who has an input on what to buy? I am leaning toward the PLX unit.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW here is what PLX says about calibration with the unit they sell

No Sensor Calibration Required:
Using a PLX wideband controller is extremely simple and hassle free. Simply install the oxygen sensor in the vehicles’ down pipe and power up the product. You’re ready to start measuring your precise air/fuel ratio immediately. Unlike other products on the market, frequent free air sensor calibration is unnecessary with “PLX Critical Response Technology.”

Manual free air sensor calibration is often required in other wideband products primarily to account for reference voltage deviations in its internal electronics. As mentioned earlier, the wideband sensor is extremely sensitive to reference voltages as little as 50 mV and Ip current as little as 1 mA can influence the measurement accuracy significantly. In order to save on manufacturing and quality control costs, these other wideband controllers pass the burdon of fine tuning their electronics to the end user. All PLX wideband products go through an extensive quality control procedure before they are shipped. Electrical tolerances and internal reference voltages are kept extremely tight to ensure excellent performance and accuracy. Products which do not pass quality control are sent back to manufacturing for engineering analysis and the procedure is repeated.

In addition, some wideband controllers which require calibration to free air may introduce unwanted errors. A calibration procedure requires a known oxygen concentration to reference the wideband controller. “Ideal free air” is an oxygen concentration at sea level (0 elevation), and 25 Deg C. If a wideband controller is calibrated to free air outside of “ideal free air” conditions, the controller will improperly reference the oxygen concentration. The oxygen concentration of air at high elevation is less than the oxygen concentration at sea level. To obtain accurate readings, the user must expose the oxygen sensor to free air at 0 elevation and an ambient temperature of 25 Deg C. This proves to be an impractical procedure and greatly complicates the usability of the product. PLX Devices wideband products do not require sensor calibration and come pre calibrated to “ideal free air” from a controlled laboratory environment.

Last edited by truckmann; 01-28-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read. I guess next week when its 77*F I will make the 1/2 mile drive to the beach and do a free air cal.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I hate the LC1. Analog outputs never worked on both I had. Even after having it sent back and got a new one.
I was in love with my AEM UEGO but I am having a problem with the analog out not reading the same on HPT as the gauge. I'm seeing ~.8-1.0 leaner on HPT than on the gauge. I feel the gauge is more correct from how it acts. I went to AEM's forum and found a few threads about this and all have no response from AEM's people about the problem. I haven't called AEM yet but i'm about fed up with widebands at this point. So far it is just like my LC1's...just half of it works.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Within, the last few years the prices have widebands have drastically dropped and the quality has fell too.
I have owned a plx and an lc-1 and an lm-1. The plx is the easiest to operate. Fast's new dual unit is nice and is easily recalibrated.

If you are going to use it alot or use leaded gasoline, I would use the bosch sensor(around $50) as the NtK sensor is getting really expensive but it will take more abuse. NGK now sells their wideband kits with their NTK sensor (which were industry norm on dyno's) for $295.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Well that's the kind of info I was looking to see here. Sorry to hear the AEM isn't working out I guess with that info I am definitely leaning toward the PLX unit until someone has something bad to say about it..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hrodgmc
Within, the last few years the prices have widebands have drastically dropped and the quality has fell too.
I have owned a plx and an lc-1 and an lm-1. The plx is the easiest to operate. Fast's new dual unit is nice and is easily recalibrated.

If you are going to use it alot or use leaded gasoline, I would use the bosch sensor(around $50) as the NtK sensor is getting really expensive but it will take more abuse. NGK now sells their wideband kits with their NTK sensor (which were industry norm on dyno's) for $295.
So which unit would you choose between the PLX, FAST and the NGK? The FAST units look nice but are they worth the extra cost? I have seen the NGK unit on ebay new for $219 shipped.