Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wideband on a stock truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will take more then 2 days but I will be getting a wideband and will first install it on the tahoe to see if I can tweek it to perfection, then mount it in the other truck. So when you buy a wide band it will be set to a certain lambda and I will need to compensate if I am using differant fuel?

Say the gage I buy is for pure fuel if I use E-10 then the lambda will be off by .5? Or I just need to know the afr of what fuel I am using and the gage will read 14.7 or 14.2 regardless?

How does nitrous effect your lambda.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is my opinion on E-10, people can agree or disagree honestly i dont care to get into a pissing match.

I would sent your commanded AFR to something inbetween 14.2 and 14.68. Reason being without testing the gas your basically guessing. All gas stations will have varying amounts. So set it inbetween the two and let your trims handle the rest. A 5% swing ineither direction is no biggie.

My tune is serup for 14.68, i have never changed to compensate for E-10 and honestly i dont ever plan on changing. My truck runs great, gets good MPG, plugs always look good. So until one of those change i am sticking with 14.68. But like i said that is just me. IMO people over compensate and freak out tooo much about E-10.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Also go ahead and get the idea of "tuning to perfection" out of your mind. You will get close but changes in weather, gas quality, sensors, etc will change daily. Be happy with +/- 3%
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Also go ahead and get the idea of "tuning to perfection" out of your mind. You will get close but changes in weather, gas quality, sensors, etc will change daily. Be happy with +/- 3%
I understand a "perfect" tune is impossible.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow, who is this BlackGMC fellow. I agree with all of his post in this thread. gotta be a record of some kind.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
So when you buy a wide band it will be set to a certain lambda and I will need to compensate if I am using differant fuel?

Say the gage I buy is for pure fuel if I use E-10 then the lambda will be off by .5? Or I just need to know the afr of what fuel I am using and the gage will read 14.7 or 14.2 regardless?

How does nitrous effect your lambda.
When you buy the wideband, the software will be set up for 14.68(give or take). I would just leave it at that as everyone is familiar with a regular gas AFR.

The gauge just reads the output the wideband is set up at. If you leave it to 14.68, and the lambda is 1.00, the gauge will read 14.68. You should actually have A gauge on your Flashscan if you have A V2. If you hit F1, F2, F3 it should get you there.

Have you been to holdencrazy.com? It is an EFILive tune file repository. There are all sorts of tunes there from stock vehicles to modified vehicles. Also the help tutorials are extremely helpful with EFILive. Look at the one to set up a wideband.

Also, I agree with BlackGMC.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been some changes since you have been to holdencrazy I am pretty sure...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

This is the first learning I have done when it comes to tuning. I just got the software last night and Justin is going to tune for me, for now. Obviously with all the good info I am learning here and plenty more I will learn from the links and info you guys continue to help me out with, I will become a self sufficient tunner in a reasonable amount of time.

I read a good tutorial the other day that I beleive is a stickey here in the tuning section.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
There have been some changes since you have been to holdencrazy I am pretty sure...
Man, you ain't kidding! It has been a while. I don't see any modified tunes. When I first went on, I ended up saving most of them, so I never needed to go back. I have most of the modified tunes if anyone is looking for them.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

If I download the stock tune from holdencrazy.com, there would be no reason to upload my stock tune to look at and tweek is there.

I guess I am asking that a 2006 Tahoe 5.3 stock tune is always 100% the same?

Quick Reply: Wideband on a stock truck?