Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

wierd spark plug color

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wierd spark plug color

well i'm trying to get a pic up but the tip is green color i was just wondering if this is ok or what? oh and i found one plug to be missing a tip and i thought it fell off in side the wire so i pushed in the plug and screwed to see if it was in there it would screw on well the plug wire itself screwed on to my plug i could pull them apart then i unscrewed a couple times and i could pull it out. any one else try this? maybe it was just me but i did it twice. oh and i broke a plug checking them all and i need my truck at 4am and there are now stores open that carry ngk's open this late so is it ok to put an not so good plug in there and run it with the others all being ngk??

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-20-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

green is usually oxiadation... but it doesnt look tore up.

how long have they been in there?
and does the tip look rough at all?

and ya, you can get away with putting a random plug in there as long as its temporary... for a day or so.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

well the plugs have been in there since like may i think they didn't look tore up to me they look perfectly normal just greenish what is oxiadation?? wait wait you maen corrosion. i didn't think they were alluminuim plugs lol. could the cam couse this by the ruff idle?

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-21-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

no, a rough idle wouldnt cause that... that green color is in extreme cases only.. so idk why it would turn green, bc it usually turns green and its like falling apart.. but thats usually on extremely old plugs. Are they all green? or have you checked yet? I would try some new plugs for the hell of it and see if it does any different. Why did you pull them to begin with? was it running funny?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

nope taking a trip and just looking over everything and wanted to make sure all was good. i changed the oil for the first time since i put the motor back to gether and and it runs much queiter with the purple and i have alot better oil pressure. i did get a back fire the other day and crazy knock retard but i fix all that put my timming back down but i don't think it was timming becouse i had been running it for a long time like that but i transfered over some knock tables from another tune and thats when it did it so i put it back to stock and its better now. that plug was #7 and i pulled #3 also it was green to but i broke it so i decided it was getting late and didn't want to break more so i fixed and stopped there. i can't stmp on it since the cam becouse it just lights up and sits there even at a 40 -50 roll it just spins and the tac shoots striaght to 6000 rpm so i just been poking around mainly. with a few half throttle take offs.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

other than the tip of the plug it looks like a "perfect burn" plug just the tip is green.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

oh okay.. no worries than... sounds good tho. You like the royal purple better than mobil 1?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

when my friend blew up his ls1, his plugs were green. maybe he'll chime in .. ill link him.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Turbo Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckhand
when my friend blew up his ls1, his plugs were green. maybe he'll chime in .. ill link him.
Green Plugs are lean...... very lean.... lean enough to blow-up the motor.
Before you do anything else check the A/F on it...... i have some pic's on my site of mine last time it went.... plugs looked just like that...... lean like that puts holes in pistons....... under load can you heard it detinating????
Check it out before it costs you more $$
Kyle
Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

is that what the back fire was then. i fattened it up since i just drove 1700 mile and it was in the 0 range on the s trim basically the whole way execpt for when i would let off it would show rich but i just got 20 mpg at 85-90mph throught the hills of tennessee on i40. i'll check the plugs again i don't wanna blow it. could this be why i get kr at about 100 at wot. its good till about 100mph then it start to get kr and at about 3800 rpm and up

Quick Reply: wierd spark plug color