Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wiiiierd problem....MAF causing trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiiiierd problem....MAF causing trouble!!

Hey gang...Im having trouble with my MAFS. I just did a motor and tranny swap not too long ago. I've been tuning in VE and have had the MAFS off so I dont know when the problem really started. When I tune in VE and drive I have no issues what so ever. As soon as I turn the MAFS back on, I get missfire code 0300, and my TCC will not lock like it is programmed to!! I turned the MAF off again and all the problems went away... TCC locks and unlocks properly and no codes at all. What gives?? Any ideas?? Maybe MAF is going bad and needs to be replaced, but I'm tryin to make sure that is the problem before I have to spend money on something that wont fix the problem. Thanks

Nick
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that if you get a MAF code your trans will increase pressures, maybe it screws with the TCC as well. You getting any codes for the MAF? In this swap did ya damage the MAF cross hairs? Oil on them? you didn't cut and splice those wires for any reason right? If it works in SD, then it's in the MAF table and settings or MAF wiring and or sensor itself.

Post your tune up so others can look at your MAF and airflow tables.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Post up your tune and a log. Ya your Tcc is not going to lock with p0300. I have seen this before a few times. Your not trying to run the Maf on a 1Bar MAP OS? Find out where its missing and work thoes tables alittle. My guess is in park/gear idling lean miss

Last edited by 1slowsilverado; 10-04-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill put my tune up as soon as i get home...There arent any codes for the MAF though. I didnt splice or cut any wires or anytyhing like that. It was sitting in the same spot though for almost a year!! When I did the swap I didnt even pull the MAF off the truck nor did I ever disconnect it. B4 the swap it worked perfectly fine, and I didnt even change anything in the MAF tables except to make it fail under the diagnostic section of EfiLive, by typing in a 1 in the highest frequency column. Ill have the tune posted in about an hour or less. Thanks for getting back so quickly!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I didnt even realize that i have my laptop here with me. Heres the tune file, you might have to save it to the desktop first to open it properly.
Attached Files
Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Hello Dave

Can you post up a log as well?

Symptoms sound to me like a leak somewhere post-MAF causing you to lean out. VE table is tuned for amount of air entering the intake manifold, and subsequently the engine, regardless of how it gets in. Re-enable the MAF and now all of the air that is entering outside of the MAF is only having the smallest of effect on the total airflow equation, causing your issues.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Mine does the same EXACT thing!! When tuned in SD it ran like a bat outa hell, then when we switched to MAF it did that stuff and doesn't pull near as hard. I would like to know what his is doing. Maybe I can post up mine too and see what ya'll think. I've already changed the MAF and it still does the same thing also. Lookin forward to what ya'll say is wrong with his.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by TxSquezze4.8
Mine does the same EXACT thing!! When tuned in SD it ran like a bat outa hell, then when we switched to MAF it did that stuff and doesn't pull near as hard. I would like to know what his is doing. Maybe I can post up mine too and see what ya'll think. I've already changed the MAF and it still does the same thing also. Lookin forward to what ya'll say is wrong with his.
justin is right, check for post maf leaks. If air is enetering and not being metered, this would cause all of your symptoms.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Already checked for them on the CAI tube. Nuthin. Everything is hooked up tight, with no leaks. Even tried a different CAI and nuthing.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Hello Dave

Blackerado, what injectors are you running?

Quick Reply: Wiiiierd problem....MAF causing trouble!!