Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

wont throw code runs like crap missing

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont throw code runs like crap missing

yes yes another edition of my truck sucks

so list of mods are in sig the problems consist of inconsistant missing under small/heavy load or wot sounds like light backfireing prpbably consists all across the board just not noticeable under light throttle aside from the popping the truck cuts out on power when it pops so it's wither not sparking or not getting crap for fuel right?

i've switched back to stock plug wires tried to switch back to stock like plugs from the ngk 55 ir's (yes i crimped the electrodes on) but i have to take my header gasket out because it's in the way of the #1 cyl. i will be doing this tuesday.

anyone else think of other things to go after? i'm debating mas air flow sensor, knock sensors, map sensor, etc. possibly faulty o2' simms

it's been running like crap off and on since last fall i used to get about 20-22 mpg now i get 16-18 i'm tired of paying out the azz for gas please help if youve had or heard of a problem like this

-Erik
Old 02-26-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

fuel filter plugged, injectors plugged??? spark plugs and spark plug cables?? check your intake tube is on right.... maybe clean out your MAF ??? all of these could be doing the same symtoms...
Old 02-26-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

You said it wasn't throwing any codes, Have you put a scanner on it yet? Go to auto zone you can put a scanner on for free, A code might pop up on the scanner and not throw a code in your truck
Old 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a scanner i keep in the truck i check about once a week

how should i clean the maf? everything is tight on the intake...

thanks for the responces i'll keep this updated as it goes on

i was thinking about picking up some sea foam for the truck

-Erik
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

temps dropped about 15* from earlier today so i took it out to grab a newspaper totally cold truck never got over 175 and it was stumbling and falling all over itself under any load, if i kept the spead steady it seemed fine but 5% acceleration it would cut out horribly, seemed worse than usual
Old 02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

so far plugs were it runs like a SOB now sotp dyno i think i gained 100 hp back lol

have to see as time goes by i'd still like to clean my maf so if anyone has do's or donts please tell

i also picked up some seafoam might do that this w/e if it's not raining
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I had that same thing happen to me in my 04 a while back. Had actually gotten a hold of some bad gas, and thats what started the whole thing, but I had a bad plug wire too that went south on me, and then the NGK TR55's, well the tips tend to get loose on them and the truck will run like ****. I had gone back to stock plugs and stock wires and never had any other problems. Still might want to try changing out fuel filter especially if it has never been done, and cleaning the maf. I always used an electronics spray cleaner for the MAF, got it at autozone.

But I know the feeling mine would bog and cough and run like **** coming from a stop under light or heavy acceleration, but once I got going, it would run fine.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar running problem as you describe on a couple occasions. It did however eventually throw mis-fire code. Anyway I had burnt a plug wire on the headers. Since you've replace plugs and wires, possibly a bad coil?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

still running strong on stock wires and new delco rapid fires i replaced the fuel filter 10k ago, thanks for the responces guys!!!

i'm gonna seafoam it this w/e jsut cause i can and try to get some of that cleaner

-Erik

DAMN NGK'S :rant:
Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like it could also be a coolant temp sensor. With the gauge & sending unit in one sensor they can start to die and give incorrect readings to the ECU and gauge cluster. They cause the ECU to see the engine as still being cold, thus adding more fuel causing the poor gas mileage and possibly fouled plugs, along with giving an incorrect reading to your coolant temp. gauge on your dash. I'm not sure how prone our sensors are to failure but i've had a few die in other GM's that operated in the same manner, the bad thing is that the sensors dont just die they simply loose the ability to read temp. correctly so the ECU never sees it as a dead circuit thus no CEL.

Quick Reply: wont throw code runs like crap missing