Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

WOT shifting ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT shifting ???

I tuned a buddy's truck and removed all of the tq mgt that I know of. I increased the pressure, increaded shift points, increased the shift speed, and it still has lazy shifts at WOT. It acts as if there is still tq mgt but I don't see how. It is an 04 Silverado. I took the eng tq mgt out too. Any ideas? Anyone have their tables that I could compare to? Everything else is fine....it just isn't shifting hard as he would like. It actually doesn't shift har at all. It is about like stock. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

there is only so much you can do with tuning, sounds like you need a shift kit. You can't get a shift kit quality shift by just tuning.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Just don't start increasing line pressures. Not a safe way to firm shifts. Keep the shift time above .200. Sounds like it's time for mechanical upgrades. If you removed all TM, advise your buddy to start saving ducketts.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It shifts no where near as hard as my truck does. It's like it didn't do anything to the shifts. Shift time is above .200. i didn't mess with the pressure much at all. I have done my research and I have tuned a few trucks the exact same way and everyone of them responded very well. It just seems like something is still on here. I have been experimenting with my truck for the last few years so I am not a complete newb when it comes to tuning. I just found it weird that his truck had no response to the same tuning I have put in everyone else's truck. I have had tq mgt removed on my truck for years with no problem. Along with 5 other trucks I have done. I think that is more of an opinion and difference in driving thing. I don't want to get into that here.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes a little tranny tq mgmt will help it shift quicker
Old 09-02-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have tried it both ways. I originally left 25% tq mgt in because that is what I normally do. The weird thing is it shifts like I want it to from 2nd-3rd. But 1st-2nd is very lazy. It feels just like it did when it had full tq mgt and stock settings. I messed with the shift rpm and shift speed thinking something was off there and nothing. I put a tune in there that I know makes a truck shift freakishly hard and still nothing. i don't know if there is another table somewhere that I don't know about....because the trucks I have tuned are 2000 and 2001 models. Have they added something somewhere that I am just not changing? I don't know. I am still searching though.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems a bit obvious but you changed the shift times to 0.00 right?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TN94Z
I have tried it both ways. I originally left 25% tq mgt in because that is what I normally do. The weird thing is it shifts like I want it to from 2nd-3rd. But 1st-2nd is very lazy. It feels just like it did when it had full tq mgt and stock settings. I messed with the shift rpm and shift speed thinking something was off there and nothing. I put a tune in there that I know makes a truck shift freakishly hard and still nothing. i don't know if there is another table somewhere that I don't know about....because the trucks I have tuned are 2000 and 2001 models. Have they added something somewhere that I am just not changing? I don't know. I am still searching though.
The only way to get a "FREAKISHLY HARD" shift is a shift kit, if you maxed out line pressure and shift speed, i don't think you would get the above result. Every truck is different, and maybe this one has more miles, or something is mechanically wrong in 2nd gear or something.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
seems a bit obvious but you changed the shift times to 0.00 right?
I would ask the same thing, but stock 60e doesn't need a ton of HP to kill it if you don't have servo upgrade, ect, ect, ect and you go upping pressures and turning down shift times though. But I'd try zero'ing out shifts time to see if it gets your desired results. I wouldn't keep it that way in a virgin 60e though.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:51 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

your 1-2 shft times are like .587 move them down to .200 and leave the shift firmness stock or bump it up +10 from 246tq to 640tq not to exceep 90 psi in any column.

good luck.

Quick Reply: WOT shifting ???