WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

300 AAC Blackout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya we have muledeer and couse deer here id never shoot an elk with a gun tho. sounds like it could work tho. plus like you all said it has alot of ammo for various things
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea.. in 300BO we load 110gr Vmax for deer and stuff. 145GR tracers that cycle and light up.. 178gr SMK for play and 240gr SMK for fun.

5.56 i load 75 and 77 GR OTMs for hunting and such..

havent shot my 6.8 much, saving my brass and bullets
Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by texasglock23
Look at the 6.8 to be honest, the 300 lacks in many areas, so much that even Savage dropped their research and let the caliber go.
Savage announced their rifle with 1/10 twist and a 20 inch barrel. Neither one of those is compatible with subsonic ammunition, and then they claimed they dropped it because it was not doing well with subsonic ammunition. They did not make the rifle correctly and it is no surprise it did not work for them.

6.8 is hard to get, but at least manufacturers are producing some, meaning you can get it off the shelf, but most is ordered online via vendors such as Silver State.
There are about 145 manufactures making 300 BLK related products now. The best I can tell, it is selling 11 times faster than 6.8. This is no surprise as the ammunition is about 40% less expensive and the guns cost less to make also - and use normal magazines.

check out 68forums, I had one, it was nice, awesome round, but I never hunted with it, and decided to sell it off and built a .223 wylde. Just trying to give you options. Research both, but from what I gathered, the 6.8 is superior, which is why I went that route. Box of 20 is on the low end $16, usually around $20 for the good recipes. .223 can easily take down a deer, would I recommend it, no, but I will be hunting with my build.
300 BLK ammunition is $10.36 per box.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
300BO is cool.. but there is no gain goin from a 9" to 16" barrel.. with what little fast burning powder you stuff in the case its gonna burn completely before the bullet leaves the barrel..

For a SBR, 300BO is the ticket.. if your just gonna do a 16" barrel then a 6.8SPC is the way to go. It was designed for the M4 barrel and does a dang good job.

So here is how i see it..

SBR 300BO nothing else comes close...
16" the 6.8SPC is pretty dang good
16" the 5.56 works but get up to 24" and it shines.

evidence is a chrono with all the combos..

300BO doesnt pick up hardly any speed going from a 7"" to a 16"..
6.8 doesnt pick up any speed goin from 16 to 20
5.56 picks up quite a bit of speed goin from a 16" to 24"
5.56mm is gaining 28 fps per inch in a 24 inch barrel. This is exactly the same as 300 BLK in a 16 inch barrel. I agree that 5.56mm shines (and really wants) a 24 inch barrel. For 300 BLK, 16 is the same way, so 16 inch is the sweet spot for 300 BLK.

See this: http://www.300aacblackout.com/resources/300-BLK.pdf

Also it is not true that all of the powder is burned in a short barrel. In fact, 300 BLK will keep on gaining velocity even in 30 inch barrels. The powder is only "fast" compared to certain rifle calibers. It is not fast at all for 300 BLK. It is just right.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

This rsilvers guy has been ran off other forums...do you have some sort of tracking device for the word 300 bo?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought his sn sounded familiar, he does have some good info occasionally though.

It's no secret the 6.8 is a better long range gun(300+) but if you're planning on running subs and shooting less than 300 the 300bo is the cats *** imo. 6.8 is just way too finicky for subs and ammo is going to be a lot more expensive as well as all the special parts needed to run one. Personally if you're going to go 6.8 you might as well go all the way to 308 since you're 7/8s of the way there the cost isn't much more for an even better round and ammo is cheaper. Tons of mil surp everywhere.

But I don't have much room to talk, I'm building a 458 socom, just because. It doesn't do anything the best but its cool so I've got a Wilson combat receiver sitting in the safe.

If you're not looking to run subs out of it, there are better calibers in the AR platform. The 300bo isn't a 400+ gun. If you're looking to shoot that far I'd go 6.8 if you want to stay in the AR15 platform but as I said if I was at the point I needed a 6.8 I'd go on up to an AR10.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

My point with my posts are to be informative, and not bash. But seeing as all he ever did was stir up trouble, I have slightly skewed opinions on him...

this was taken from one forum about rsilvers, take it with little worth because I can not attest to any of it

"He took the specs of another wildcat caliber and tweaked 'em just enough to pull off with taking credit for development of the .300 Barrack Obama... while he was working on that, he wanted to know what worked so well with the 6.8 and why. It was apparent from the get-go that he had an agenda and I got my *** chewed for calling him on it. Some believed he was truly wanting to "help" the 6.8's cause... when in fact, he was formulating his attempts to launch his darling. Excuses for him were given because he was part of the Freedom Group (Remington)... he was part of their R&D department... he was involved with cans (AAC)... Then he started on his misinformation campaign on the 6.8 as an attempt to make his darling look better by comparing "the best" of what he had dreamed up for his and comparing it to the absolute worst of what could be used for the 6.8. And, being part of the Freedom Group, he was on a parallel campaign to try and convince folks here that efforts to improve the 6.8 were a waste of time... and that Remington's SAAMI specs were good enough... since there was "only 50 fps to be gained by veering from SAAMI'. He never once participated in helping anyone here with an issue they had due to a build error, or, offered a greeting to a new guy, or complimented anyone on their posting's content (be it their kids, their gun, their... whatever). His only purpose here was to argue his talking points to try and wear folks down and to "bless him" for all this wonderful wisdom he had to offer us. He based all his data on the whole concept of "garbage in/garbage out" of his beloved/favorite ballistics program (I forget which one now). "---I edited some of it out, because it was more bashing than what I want to be said about the topic at hand.

supposedly the 338 Spectre is a better performer for a subsonic than the .300BO, look at that if you want sub

but I saw nothing stating that's what you wanted.

DO NOT take just what I am saying here as I am not an expert, but from what I always saw, the 6.8 was a far superior round for what YOU WANT. HUNTING in mind. Cost is subjective if you are only hunting with it, or primarily hunting. For range stuff, it was too expensive for me to justify, which is why I sold it.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

and actual info here...guy has been chrono'ing the 300

300 BLK [not] ready to call it a failure *updated data*

fyi, many guys on 68forums run the 300 caliber, it can be perceived as a biased forum...but in reality they provide facts to back claims up. One way or another. Many here are in the industry such as rsilvers is, but don't make it a point to bash other calibers just to promote theirs. That alone soured me. Don't trash another just to sell yours.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...Truth-and-Myth

Last edited by texasglock23; 11-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.
It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.
Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

Ref: Savage Arms

my last link I will post

take from it what you want, as I said, it will be hard not to think of it as being biased, as I am sure most is, but linking a specific caliber forum will do that, such as ford vs GM...

6.8 vs 300 BO for Whitetail hunting in NY State
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do people always bring up savage cancelling their program? The dumbasses were using a 1-10 twist barrel, of course its not going to be good. There isn't another AR caliber on the market that you can change from subs to superstitious with the switch of a mag, period. The 6.8 does nothing well, it can't run subs without some major mods and then won't be able to shoot supers. It's damn near the same cost as an AR10 and costs more to shoot yet has worse ballistics than the 308 round. So other than novelty and the "just because" factor, what is the allure?

And seriously, you can stop posting the savage arms crap, this round is backed by the LARGEST arms manufacturer umbrella out there. They've got a hell of a vested interest in it and its outselling 6.8 by a large margin.

If he really plans on shooting 450+ he should be looking into an AR10 unless he handloads and is a damn good shot.

Quick Reply: 300 AAC Blackout?