WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

300 AAC Blackout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
and actual info here...guy has been chrono'ing the 300

300 BLK [not] ready to call it a failure *updated data*

fyi, many guys on 68forums run the 300 caliber, it can be perceived as a biased forum...but in reality they provide facts to back claims up. One way or another. Many here are in the industry such as rsilvers is, but don't make it a point to bash other calibers just to promote theirs. That alone soured me. Don't trash another just to sell yours.

6.8 1:7 Twist Subsonic: Truth and Myth
He was using lil gun, not a1680 which is the standard for sub rounds in 300bo. That second link is from the guy who is trying to push the 6.8 and sells the "new" setup for running sub rounds, bias much? I can show you tons of failed 6.8 threads too. Tell the whole story if you're going to tell it.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you talking about? tell what story? You always seem to be hot headed over every subject in general. I'm merely posting what I find. Please provide me with links, such as you suggested in the political debate of which round is superior then. I'm all for it, unlike you who only wants to come off rude to people.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why do people always bring up savage cancelling their program? The dumbasses were using a 1-10 twist barrel, of course its not going to be good. There isn't another AR caliber on the market that you can change from subs to superstitious with the switch of a mag, period. The 6.8 does nothing well, it can't run subs without some major mods and then won't be able to shoot supers. It's damn near the same cost as an AR10 and costs more to shoot yet has worse ballistics than the 308 round. So other than novelty and the "just because" factor, what is the allure?

And seriously, you can stop posting the savage arms crap, this round is backed by the LARGEST arms manufacturer umbrella out there. They've got a hell of a vested interest in it and its outselling 6.8 by a large margin.

If he really plans on shooting 450+ he should be looking into an AR10 unless he handloads and is a damn good shot.
but wait, didn't rsilvers just say that the twist rate matters not?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:18 PM

what are you talking about? tell what story? You always seem to be hot headed over every subject in general. I'm merely posting what I find. Please provide me with links, such as you suggested in the political debate of which round is superior then. I'm all for it, unlike you who only wants to come off rude to people.
Neither caliber is right for him if he wants to really shoot 450+ and doesn't plan on shooting suppressed. No links needed for that, its common knowledge 300bo is the best for suppressed but there are many better for super work. It's also common knowledge that a 6.8 costs just as much to build as some of the 308 offerings and has worse ballistics than the 308. Do you really want me to show you the same **** you've already seen? I get biy headed when I see people only post one side of the story whether its guns or politics.
but wait, didn't rsilvers just say that the twist rate matters not?
Everyone who knows anything about guns knows twist rate determines the weight and length of bullet you can shoot. The 300bo needs the 1-7 twist to throw the 240gr bullets that are at there that really gives it its edge for sub work. Rsilver posts biased BS because he's invested in the caliber, like anyone else who has a vested interest in a given caliber you have to look through the BS to see what if any value is there.

I'm not alone in my sentiments, on every gun board that has a 300bo there are ALWAYS the haters like you who try and push the 6.8 on everyone.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

How is it just as much as .308?

mags are $15 big deal, so you just buy one, all you need for hunting anyway.

buy a new bolt...ok

ammo isn't stupid expensive anymore.

and ditto on your last statement, you are exactly the same.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 PM

You can buy complete built AR10s for 1500, its going to cost you an easy 1200 to buy a bottom of the barrel 6.8. You've got cheaper ammo and a couple hundred not yards of useable range. How am I the same? I've even said 300bo isn't good for what he's wanting to do unless he plans on playing with subs.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, dont want biased forums? Check here, make your own conclusion. That was merely my point.

300AAC or 6.8 - M4Carbine.net Forums

not sure how much this helps, but 500 yds open sights

300blk vs. 6.8spc for hunting - M4Carbine.net Forums
also, are we comparing product based on price and availability, or performance? For self defense, any AR platform caliber will work, for hunting any will work. 6.8 seems to do better than 300 in hunting. Once again, from what I have gathered. And no, I didn't just wake up and join a 68 forum and then buy one. I wanted something over the 5.56, I looked at many calibers. 300, 6.8, 6.5, both 7.62's
Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You can buy complete built AR10s for 1500, its going to cost you an easy 1200 to buy a bottom of the barrel 6.8. You've got cheaper ammo and a couple hundred not yards of useable range. How am I the same? I've even said 300bo isn't good for what he's wanting to do unless he plans on playing with subs.
1500 for bottom of the barrel? REALLY?

So do you consider what I built to be bottom of the barrel?

Palmetto state Armory has uppers you can nab for sub $550 complete, toss on a lower...done. I had $1k into my ARP15performance. not including optics

spikes lower, spikes enhances lpk (upgraded lpk), magpul-which wasn't necessarily needed. etc etc etc

I can do a bottom of the barrel for around $800 total....and still kill an animal. Come on now, you and I both know you aren't that dumb when it comes to prices and building. A complete BCG with 6.8 is no more expensive than 5.56. Only time you can argue cost is if the person was STRIPPING down an already built 5.56 and replacing the barrel to 300blk which means they wouldnt need a BCG or mag

I highly doubt the OP is doing this.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 PM

I'm talking already built, if you want piece by piece you can get an AR10 down close to a grand. The days of having to spend 2k on an LMT are gone. Well I say that, but who knows now after the election.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, so let's just agree that the OP needs to research what is best for him. You can't say I am just a 6.8 fanboy when even I admitted to selling mine off. I did so for cost reasons, it sat in my safe. Maybe if I had money to toss around not giving a ****, that would be different. I personally went with the .223 wylde this time citing it's benefits over 5.56 previously.

OP, consider that too! Will it be as effective as the others, no, not really, but it is cost effective and you can take down a deer and hog with it. I'd just prefer not to rely on just shot placement, many things can arise while hunting, and tracking an animal can suck at times. Low light, fear of hogs, terrain...also, I hate know that I possible just wounded it and now it's running of struggling. If we talk about hogs, I care not about their struggle. Deer I do.

Quick Reply: 300 AAC Blackout?