WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Factory Rem 700 at 600yds.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camochevy21
That's damn good! I'm accurate to about 50 yards . . . with my hoyt.
I got a bowtech 82nd airborne that I shoot out to 100, not very accuratley, but its a fast shooting bow! Birth certificate it came with shows it shoots 336fps, but of course I have heavier arrows and turned it down a little bit.
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Here is the .270 load ive been shooting with good luck..
Not too much bullet in the case

Dang you have those seated way out there. I think Im going to try to seat some for my .308 a little farther out and see what that does for me. I reloaded with some varget the other day and shot a .7 MOA with my factory 700 sps varmint at 100yds. Not bad for a non-bedded and non-free floated stock rifle. I want to get a Bell and Clarckson tactical stock for it and really see what she will do

What scope do you shoot? I have a nikon BDC and Im pretty happy with it so far, although I havent shot out past 200yds yet. Not sure how accurate there BDC system is yet. You have any experience with this?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my millett TRS 4-16x50s i have one on my 270 and one on my 22-250. Prolly gonna put the LRS on my 300wm. It has mil dot bar recticle. Learn your load and learn the drop, then you know exactly where to aim or what dope to put in the scope.
I seat the berger bullets out deep to engage the riflings .05". Makes a world of diff. Then do a ladder test with the powder and stick to the load that shoots best. Ladder test shows big improvements out at longer distances.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you dont mind me asking how much did your scopes set you back? I used to have a cheap BSA with the mil dot reticle, but It was a horrible scope around sunset, very hard to focus also. I like the mil dot, but I figured I would give the BDC a try.

Still kinda a newb to reloading so what's the ladder test? I've reloaded with IMR4895, h4831, and varget. Varget has produced the most accurate loads so far. I seated the bullets out a little farther and they became more accurate without a doubt, so now I'm going to try just a little farther out.

They are not supposed to be seated out to far though right because it can wear out your barrel faster right? I guess just the part where the bullet first goes intothe barrel?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mud slinger
If you dont mind me asking how much did your scopes set you back? I used to have a cheap BSA with the mil dot reticle, but It was a horrible scope around sunset, very hard to focus also. I like the mil dot, but I figured I would give the BDC a try.

Still kinda a newb to reloading so what's the ladder test? I've reloaded with IMR4895, h4831, and varget. Varget has produced the most accurate loads so far. I seated the bullets out a little farther and they became more accurate without a doubt, so now I'm going to try just a little farther out.

They are not supposed to be seated out to far though right because it can wear out your barrel faster right? I guess just the part where the bullet first goes intothe barrel?

My first Millett was $275, then everybody found out about them and they all disappeared. So i bought my 270 and waited almost a year before the new ones came out and they listened to their customers and changed alot of stuff. The newer ones are $330.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=740823

Ive shot from pitch black at 3am with the illuminated reticle on the low setting and a maglight, killed a rabbit at 275yds with my .22-250.. Also shoot due East in the late afternoon with the sun to my back and i havent had any problems getting a crisp focus out to 1200yds.

The Millett scopes have got to be the best for the money.
The Mildot is very very easy to use... 1 MIL=3.6MOA

Say im shooting at a 4'x4' target at 500yds, I hit off to the left. I can measure the hit with the MIldots.. Say the first mildot covers up the hit perfect.. 1MIL left, you can either use that Mildot to shoot again, or you can do a little math in your head.
1Mil at 500yds is 3.6x5=18 So your 18" left, if your Turrets have 1/4moa adjustments just click left 12 times..

Once you learn how to use the Mildots, shooting becomes a whole lot funner

Ladder test is when you find a load that shoots good, load a lot of 10 or so rounds that have .5grs more powder and 10 that have .5grs less powder.

Ive seen some long range guys do a big ladder test. Finding a good load that shoots good then start adjusting it .2grs at a time.

It makes a big difference out past 500yds. You wont get the low or high hits, only thing that might make the group bigger is the wind blowing the rounds right or left.

The further out you seat them the less "Jump" they have to the riflings. I seat mine till they touch the riflings then .05" further. That way there is no jump and you get alot more consistant velocities.
I measured 5 of my .270 rounds 10' from the muzzle, it was 2971fps -/+4fps.
Thats really good, alot better than i was expecting anyway..

Get a good neck sizing die and dont do a full length size next time you load, that helps accuracy alot also. That way the casing wont "wobble" in the chamber.
Dont forget to trim the brass either
Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mud slinger
Dang you have those seated way out there. I think Im going to try to seat some for my .308 a little farther out and see what that does for me.
Careful seating bullets out. It does, usually, improve accuracy, bullet not having to jump to the rifling and improving it's stabilization. You don't however want it to be touching the rifling lands when chambered. Without some bullet jump chamber pressures can spike well beyond safe limits with the potential of damaging gun or person.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is true, i used the Hornady lock n load OAL
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=570611

It lets you check the depth and go from there.

If you seat them too far out and your bolt wont close..... Eh, well dont force it. if you do we might not be seeing you around.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Careful seating bullets out. It does, usually, improve accuracy, bullet not having to jump to the rifling and improving it's stabilization. You don't however want it to be touching the rifling lands when chambered. Without some bullet jump chamber pressures can spike well beyond safe limits with the potential of damaging gun or person.
Yeah thats what i heard, thats why im kinda hesitant to go any farther.
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
That is true, i used the Hornady lock n load OAL
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=570611

It lets you check the depth and go from there.

If you seat them too far out and your bolt wont close..... Eh, well dont force it. if you do we might not be seeing you around.
Good to know. Thanks for the help and good shooting!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Blown 427 LSX

great topic... Ive never done any long range stuff, not much out past rules of engagement anyways - practice what you use, and know the basics about the rest.

Had a chance to go shooting with Brian a few months back, he's has some nice shooters, I too wouldnt want to be downrange of Brian, fugger can shoot! (youre still gay)
But he was nice enough to give me a lower for an AR! Once I get my class 3 squared away Im going to build something light and tactical with it.

I dont know much about reloading or LD shooting... someday hopefully.

Great thread!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its just fun.
I want to push the 270 to the limits and just see what it can do. i know it can do a 1000 easy.

Should be thru with my 300 win mag build in about 3 weeks. Now thats gonna be very fun. Hope to stretch it out to a mile.
Wouldnt mind putting it up against my buddy and his M99 at a mile. I have time to practice and he has a lot of money but no practice.

Cody let me know when you plan on coming thru, july the corn is gonna be kinda high so we will be shooting deer out of the cotton
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

My dad has a 300wm with a few mods: extended barrel thats been fluted, thumb whole stock with merc bars, gets the rounds loaded by a friend. We've blew some coyote in half at close to a 1000 yards lol. Was made for long range shots at them rocking chair bucks.

Quick Reply: Factory Rem 700 at 600yds.