WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

finally getting my CHL

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
...i want to go to the class, and i definately want my wife in the class. she wants hers for some dumb reason, but who am i to tell her she cant have one lol. were both enrolled for this saturday. going along with a friend of mine and his wife. what should i expect?
Stewy, @ $75 per person for the class, that's pretty decent, esp. if they train the PD, even more so. Round here, it varies. I told a friend who carries, of a CCW class for $152 incl. range time!! He did this -->

He said for $80 I could do it, tho I'd say $100-125 is what I'm expecting for a class. He said they teach u the same stuff at both, just cheaper.

I figure from instructor to instructor, some people have to be better instructors, u just gotta find who's better, & hope the price is in line w/. what u wanna pay.

tarinitup, knowing where not to carry is 1 of my main concerns, but most I have an idea of, makes sense really to those w/. common sense. Of greater concern, to me, legalities if u have to pull trigger & blast.

As for the test bein "super easy". How many questions, how long does it take timewise?

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I'll have to do that soon as well. ...
You know u need to bring your gun not a knife, might look kinda funny, if u bring 1 of your knives; u know old sayin, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight".

See cost comment above to Stewy. Also, they want u to be proficient, not a sharpshooter. SO, basically cost of class, say $80-150, & then fees to state for permit (here it's $105).

Oh ya, I almost forgot, & this is a biggie, to me anyway. I (perhaps u & others thinkin of doin this) need to start lookin @ holsters.
You can scrimp & get some cheap **** holster. It probably won't last, scratch gun (like I did when I just thought I had to get 1 for when I would carry), & won't be comfy.

While there others, here's some good ones, & they're made here too.
Kramer, Galco are what I'll look at.
You can get horsehide or cowhide, (horsehide) is more Kramer's specialty - horseh. lasts longer, costs a bit more, not much. Uncle Mike's IIRC, is U.S., Desantis, not sure where they're made. And there are others, costs varies of course.

And... holster style. For range, instructor may frown on a crossdraw. Or different for range vs carry. Strong side or weak. IWB or SOB. So on, I'm gonna probably have a few for different needs. Go on Galco & Kramer's site, check FAQ's on picking holster(s), a person can learn a lot, I did, things I didn't even consider.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Watch out for the morons at the range. ...
I don't think Scott is gonna be there.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-23-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added info. on holsters.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing better than having a CHL, I have two. VA and UT, and TX soon. Also, I know a couple guys who provide the class out in North DFW if anyone is interested.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tucker Gunleather is the ****! I carry mostly with my Texas Heritage IWB. I also have two hybrids from a guy on glocktalk. Crossbreed and Comptac are top notch as well! I hated every Galco I had, my Desantis is decent. I have a one off custom made from a guy in AZ that is junk, but was given to me by a friend when I first joined the military. Definitely do research, I can link you to a thread from GT with holster makers.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texasglock23
Tucker Gunleather is the ****! I carry mostly with my Texas Heritage IWB. I also have two hybrids from a guy on glocktalk. Crossbreed and Comptac are top notch as well! I hated every Galco I had, my Desantis is decent. I have a one off custom made from a guy in AZ that is junk, but was given to me by a friend when I first joined the military. Definitely do research, I can link you to a thread from GT with holster makers.
Why all 3 CHL's (VA, UT & TX) are all current? I'm thinkin it must be for military.

I know I didn't hit em all, but there are some really $$$ ones, might be that AZ u speak of TXglock. Honestly, Kramer is likely what I'll get, in horsehide, carry or not. But I'm thinkin I will.

I'll probably post up when I decide on holster, cause I think that's important to help others facing what may be a very important decison.

I'm still not sure if Desantis is U.S. made, can't tell when I looked in shops nor our they particularly forthcoming w/. that info. That makes me think not. I support U.S. whenever I can on products.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-23-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: +'d info.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was stationed in VA and got it there, got out and moved back to TX...the UT one was cheaper than the TX. There is now a bill to make it where you have to get the TX before UT, I then found out that I can still get my TX for free up to a year for being a veteran.

The AZ turned out to be a scam that fucked several members on a forum a friend of mine started called glockers.com but went under after he was diagnosed with cancer, and eventually passed away. The holster maker was a forum member that followed us from one site to the new one, then scammed many people. I was lucky to get mine made and shipped to me. I will not disclose the name as of this time.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

expect to sit through ten hours of powerpoint slides that will tell you to use common sense you should already have. whoever said they can get you your CHL without the class, LOL i hope they enjoy making friends with the atf. glad to hear your getting your chl and standing up for your second amendment rights. if you need guns/gear/holsters, let me know, i have 3 custom holster makers, and guaranteed BEST prices on just about anything here in houston.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I didn't understand that part...I've never heard of someone hooking up folks like that. That would be a dumb way to end up in jail.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

no names, but there are several guys around houston that will take your thumb prints, fill outt he paperwork for you and submit it for you for a little extra cost. they have been doing it for years, and i know people that have gone through them. i dont care to. id like to know that im making the correct decision when i pull the trigger.

i plan to use my Ruger LCP as my carry weapon. it's nice and compact and a dependable gun from what ive seen. anyone know of a good holster for this gun?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I carry my LCP during the summer along with a BodyGuard .380 depending on what I feel. I have a nice leather IWB from a guy out on NC, but he no longer makes them. Just get a decent pocket holster from Uncle Mike, Desnatis etc.

Quick Reply: finally getting my CHL