WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

HD Shotgun

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Got a 7 month old, my house isn't pitch black anyway. You can think you hypotheticals all you want but my friends who do this stuff for a living don't use them so I'll take their advice. The all use night sites and their eyes, nothing else is needed in a typical house according to them. One has been a Travis county sheriff for over a decade, another has had 4 tours in Iraq and another 2 tours in Afghanistan so I figure they have more experience than your average keyboard warrior.
Then why do many so many professionals (military, SWAT, policemen, etc.) use flashlights and weapon mounted lights? Not saying your friends don't know what they're talking about, but there ARE benefits to using lights. There are Pros and Cons to everything.

And like I said in my earlier post, if you don't have time to let your eyes adjust, what are you going to do? Your house might not be pitch black, but surely that isn't the case for everyone. Also, have your friends been asleep in their beds and woken up by intruders and tried only using their night sights. Ever woken up in the night to go take a **** and stepped on everything possible on the floor and struggled to find the light switch in the bathroom? Take that feeling and multiply it by about 10 when you're faced with confronting an intruder.

Luckily I've never been in that kind of situation, but it doesn't take 15 years as a special ops army ranger navy seal swat officer to realize it's hard to see in the dark, especially when in a stressful situation such as home defense.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Mine is hardly just the way it was out of the box lol. The barrel isn't factory length right now anyways.
Oh well that changes everything. Mod away dude.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc3521
Oh well that changes everything. Mod away dude.
I've been modding away

These things are a disgrace in their imported form.

Honestly, with prices what they are now, with people selling piece of **** Tapco conversions (excuse my language) for $1400, mine is worth at least $2000, not including the nearly $500 in magazines...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Launching!

personally I wish the Kel-tec bull pup scatter gun wasn't such a failure.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

high five for keyboard warriors! i like the mossburg tactical shotgun. fun to shoot and comfortable.

ive had extensive weapons training. scott has a great point on a light being to bright. but at same time when your adreanline is up that high you wont be able to think clearly or see clearly. cause honestly how many people have shot other people? even though its your house and all you know how many people freeze up and get scared. even the baddest who go hunting and stuff and very familar with the game.

only 3 people should be in my house including myself. and if my dogs barking at them it tells me time to handle business.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:26 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
S12 ver. Tactics

9 rounds of 3" magnum 00 buckshot. 18.5" OAL.

It runs anything from the cheapest walmart federal birdshot up to flame throwing 3" magnum slugs with 100% reliability.

I am debating taking the barrel down to 11 or 12", but it raises a slew of reliability issues and I've already put a lot of money and work into getting this to run the complete spectrum of ammo with utter reliability. There's also the issue of registering and paying the $200 tax, not to mention the wait for it to be approved.

Thats a badd *** gun bro!!!

And to the light issue, I dont care who says does what, I want to SEE what im shooting at . A tatical light will throw a wouldbe attacker off guard and let you be sure your not shooting someone you dont want to. Each to their own but my home defense gun has a light.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Use a red light, only color that doesn't affect your night vision. Then again it doesn't affect the intruder's vision either.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

scott gets a cookie and a beer. thank you for handling that.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
And to the light issue, I dont care who says does what, I want to SEE what im shooting at . A tatical light will throw a wouldbe attacker off guard and let you be sure your not shooting someone you dont want to. Each to their own but my home defense gun has a light.
If I wasn't too lazy to put the light on one of my guns, I agree with this statement (ie; so consider my post on this subject cleary a keyboard warrior post ;P). I would suspect the time it takes to identify is less than the time for the would be attacker to gain an upper edge due to the light source. At which time, squeeze the trigger, 00 pellets will equalize the situation.

I agree with BadAssChevy327, panic, adrenaline, all the things you've never trained for (repeatedly and repeatedly) will also play a factor. Let's face it, the would be attacker has the upper edge there...he's already prepared to some degree, who the hell breaks into houses when people are home? Ice in the blood?

As far as the actual topic, I swear by 870's. Most shotguns are great and quite functional. (keeping this topic under ~600 bucks) I just love the common sense and ruggedness of the 870. When I was SAF in the Navy we tortured those things. Tortured, I mean tortured them. They always fired and pumped. Granted they were WELL used, so they were smooth. I have a standard 870, SP-10, and a Model 10. Can't tell I am a little pro Remington huh? LOL Nevertheless, great gun!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Then why do many so many professionals (military, SWAT, policemen, etc.) use flashlights and weapon mounted lights? Not saying your friends don't know what they're talking about, but there ARE benefits to using lights. There are Pros and Cons to everything.

And like I said in my earlier post, if you don't have time to let your eyes adjust, what are you going to do? Your house might not be pitch black, but surely that isn't the case for everyone. Also, have your friends been asleep in their beds and woken up by intruders and tried only using their night sights. Ever woken up in the night to go take a **** and stepped on everything possible on the floor and struggled to find the light switch in the bathroom? Take that feeling and multiply it by about 10 when you're faced with confronting an intruder.

Luckily I've never been in that kind of situation, but it doesn't take 15 years as a special ops army ranger navy seal swat officer to realize it's hard to see in the dark, especially when in a stressful situation such as home defense.
The simple answer from my Sheriff buddy is he uses a light at work because he isnt familiar with where he is going, at home he knows his house and its not pictch black so he would rather have the stealth element. He has never had an intruder in his house either but I imagine his work experience helps enough to make an educated decision.

If youre eyes arent adjusted enough to even walk how are you going to walk thorugh your house without using the light?

Quick Reply: HD Shotgun