WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

intro to 600 yards

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey nonnie how long it take you to get use to the moa/mil setup on the millett? Im still on the wall as for the lrs or a m30. Need to find someone around here with a millet to look at. Looked thru a few konus and they are very clear. Hum
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Please look past the konus. Chinease junk. Its not all about how clear optics are. You could have the clearest optics in the world but if its not repeatable is worth nothing. For instance my USO not quite as clear as my S&B but litterly John took a nail and nailed it into a board with the side of the scope. I wouldnt do that with a S&B. Also dont get a Counter Sniper scope either. Totally full of BS scope chinease made junk. I suggest saving a little more and getting a Bushnell but if your on a budget between the two get the millet
Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree wih onequick. Id take a repeatable scope over a clearer one. If it dont track true then your just waisting your time.

The LRS is not a Nightforce but it does what i ask of it out to 1400yds so far. If i can get some time im goin to a mile and cant wait.

One test you can do is shoot a group and get consistent. When your comfortable at 300+ shoot 2 rounds and turn the elevation all the way up, then all the way down, then go back to your zero marking. And shoot 2 more rounds. Do that a few times and you will know if its repeatable.

Ive studied MOA and MIL to death, so its really simple unless you over think it. In a match ill get a good zero with my sighters and use the mildots for kentucky windage.

MOA is 1.047" per 100yds. Depends on the scope, but there are 3.4 or 3.6 MOA per one MIL. Make sure your power setting stays the same or it thows everything out of wack.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what's the deal with all the talk about adjustment changing with power setting? A click or a moa or mil should all be the same as far as setting the scope at all power. Or that's how I am seeing it in my head. Or am I looking at this wrong?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most scopes are second focal plane where power setting determines the mildots spacing from the zoom. Each scope has their own power setting where one mil = 3.6 moa. If its 20x power then when you go to 10x your gonna be 7moa for each mil.

I typed it wrong i think. But your right 1 moa adjustment on the dial should be 1 moa. But when you get on out to 600yds it might not be exactly 1 moa. Usually the cheap scopes just get you close. The higher end ones you can trust when you turn it one moa that the POI will change that amount.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your using the mildots for hold over or kentucky windage then your power setting is where that matters on a second focal plane. Sorry if that didnt make sense earlier. Its been quite a day workin out in the 115* heat and only gettin 2 hours sleep last night.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I know how ya feel. I understand what your saying now. As far as the mil ranging and where the scope is setup to read. Looks like I will be looking into millet for a scope tho after all of yalls input. Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive only had one problem with a TRS. The focus messed up. Waiting to hear back from millett as to what i can do with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 05_GMC
Shooting a 1000yards sounds fun. thats a badass gun by the way. lets see some groups at that far away
Thanks, it was a blast. I learned lots this weekend and also learn that I had lots to learn, and that the wind is evil.

The first day was alright, took a while to get used to how much adjustment to make based on the sighters. I shot half decent at 600 then sucked at 500. I think I shot 34/50 (v-bull and 5 ring counting for 5 obviously). I haven't cronographed my load yet so I took a guess at how much elevation I needed for 900 and prayed. By that afternoon when we were back at 900 the wind had picked up to 15-18 mph from 9 o'clock so I dialed 10 MOA wind and managed to put the first sighter in the 5 ring. They shortened that relay to 10 rounds from 15 and I managed to somehow pull off a 44/50 with 2V so I was pumped. Turns out with my 0 MOA rail I had an extra .25 moa at 900 for elevation.

So at 1000 on Sunday I had to hold 1 foot over the target with the scope cranked and still managed a 41/50 with 1V. Wind was 7-9 from 9 o'clock again so I was more than pleased. On Monday we only shot 15 rounds at 900 and 1000 and I scored 57 1V and 58 1V respectively. Wind was 7-9 again but swinging from 5:00 to 6:30 and on at least two shots I had 4 moa adjustment from my previous shot. Comparatively, I think the best score at 1000 on Monday was a 73 5V so while I did a lot better than I thought I would, I still have a ways to go. There is some thing insanely satisfying about staring at the mirage and wind flags to figure out what the hell is going on, then pounding v-bull. I was still smiling even after I missed a wind change on my next shot and shot a 2.

We had markers in the butts pulling targets for us so I didn't actually get to see my groups other than what I had on my plot sheet. Next time I'll get one of them to take a picture for the hell of it. Obviously my groups aren't that great as at 1000 I was basically averaging a 4 which is a 20" circle I believe. However, my last 5 rounds at 1000 counted for 25 points, which means they were all in a 10" group or 1 moa, so I was happy to end with that.

Anyways happy shooting and sorry for the long post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

The wind is evil.
When we shoot FClass theres always a conversation on whether to watch the mirage or windage flags. If im shootin my 308 ill watch the flags. If its my 22-250 or 300wm ill watch the mirage.
Whats really satisfing is when the mirage is so bad all you can see is a blur for a target and you still manage a x ring or 10 ring.

Quick Reply: intro to 600 yards