WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Post your long range rifles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLACKND
I'm trying to decide between 2 new rifles for target/Predator/Varmint Hunts

AR Style-Windham Weaponry .223 Varmint Exterminator
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/U...SRPPRICING.pdf

Bolt Action-FN TSR USA .223
FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: TSR XP USA

To get a good answer on your question could you please list your intentions in order of importance?

Ex.

Precision/Target 60%
Pred/Varmints 30%
Plinking 10%

This will give us a better idea of the overall intentions of use.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed99
To get a good answer on your question could you please list your intentions in order of importance?

Ex.

Precision/Target 60%
Pred/Varmints 30%
Plinking 10%

This will give us a better idea of the overall intentions of use.
Honestly, probably an even split between the 3. I don't visit the range very often right now, but my parents have 17 acres in the hill country, and they have a range setup for distance shooting, the adjacent 250 acres is free for us to run on, I know I could set up for 500-600 yard shots easily by using the adjacent property.

Also, my parents land is where I would most likely be doing most of my predator calling/hunts.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, id go for the 223 with atleast a 8 twist barrel.
mine shoots 40gr Vmax, 40gr varminators and 77gr SMKs great. you get best of both worlds with it.

my m4 barrel is a 7 twist and it also shoots the 40gr vmax and 77gr Nosler Custom Competitions great. all under .75 MOA easy
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, probably an even split between the 3. I don't visit the range very often right now, but my parents have 17 acres in the hill country, and they have a range setup for distance shooting, the adjacent 250 acres is free for us to run on, I know I could set up for 500-600 yard shots easily by using the adjacent property.

Also, my parents land is where I would most likely be doing most of my predator calling/hunts.
I'd actually look at a bolt gun in something other than a 223. If and when you go the rebarrel it the small boltface really limits you. I'd do a 308 just to get started as it is very easy and cheap to get match grade ammo for it and later on you have a ton of other cartridges you can look at when going to rebarrel. Savage is a good start for out of the box accuracy. I refer Remingtons only because the aftermarket and overall resale prices. Not to mention the great smiths around the country that build off of Remingtons.

Ex. GA Precision, Crescent Customs, American Precision Arms, Short Action Customs, Black Ops, Tac Ops, Jon Beanland, the list goes on and on.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Honestly, .308 is not in the question. I just don't want to go that large of caliber. The largest target this gun will ever shoot would be a Coyote, at some point I will go with a .308, but that will be an FNAR 16" heavy barrel. I have considered the .22-250.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can go buy a savage 223, and buy barrels/bolt heads for whatever short action caliber you want. For a pretty good price too.

.22-250 is a nice round. Again, if it were me, id get a fast twist like a 9 twist. It will get you the small 40-55gr varmint rounds for coyotes, and go with a heavier 77-80gr match bullet for long shots.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
You can go buy a savage 223, and buy barrels/bolt heads for whatever short action caliber you want. For a pretty good price too.

.22-250 is a nice round. Again, if it were me, id get a fast twist like a 9 twist. It will get you the small 40-55gr varmint rounds for coyotes, and go with a heavier 77-80gr match bullet for long shots.
good point on the Savage. I forgot all about the bolt head change out.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I've looked through some of the Savages, just not sure. I really don't see me changing barrels and calibers, etc.... Pretty much wanting something good to go out of the box, with with the right optics added.

The only savage I saw with a 9 twist .22-250 was a laminated wood stock, and I'd much rather prefer the synthetic stock of some sort. It will most likely be one of the 2 I listed above, with me leaning toward the AR platform. because of the 1:8 Twist.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

The savage is a shooter bone stock. I love them. Ive got some factory R700 that shoot good but i like to be able to change the barrel in my reloading room and be ready to go again in 5 minutes.
but i like to tinker with things.. i have a Stevens 200 in .223 and its been thru all kinda torture.. kinda shot a hot round thru it and broke the extractor and plunger.. but it still shoots great. gotta get a new bolt head for it and prolly a 300BO barrel.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've looked through some of the Savages, just not sure. I really don't see me changing barrels and calibers, etc.... Pretty much wanting something good to go out of the box, with with the right optics added.

The only savage I saw with a 9 twist .22-250 was a laminated wood stock, and I'd much rather prefer the synthetic stock of some sort. It will most likely be one of the 2 I listed above, with me leaning toward the AR platform. because of the 1:8 Twist.
you do realize that barrels will wear out over time right? I would only suggest a fiberglass style stock NOT a tupperware plastic stock.

You might want to look @ a remington milspec 5R in 223. A very nice beginner LR gun and will do anything you really need it to.

REMINGTON 5R MODEL 700 223 CAL R5 RIFLE : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Quick Reply: Post your long range rifles!