WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Post your long range rifles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea especially a 22-250. They will burn a barrel quick. Thats why i went with the heavy bullets and shoot them somewhat slow.

That r700 5r is a good one. And you can always use the savage style barrel nut setup on them. I did that with my 22-250 and i love it. $275 i had a tack driver at 600yds.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed99
you do realize that barrels will wear out over time right? I would only suggest a fiberglass style stock NOT a tupperware plastic stock.

You might want to look @ a remington milspec 5R in 223. A very nice beginner LR gun and will do anything you really need it to.

REMINGTON 5R MODEL 700 223 CAL R5 RIFLE : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
Yes, I actually do realize that barrels don't last forever, however, I don't want to buy a rifle and feel like I have to change it out first thing either to have a weapon that will do what I want. I'm not going for a competition weapon here, just something that I can have fun with and accomplish the task at hand. I will take a look at the remington 5R model 700 though.

Thats one of the reasons I was kind of ruling out the .22-250, as I know its hard on barrels. And I know the hogue stock on the FN rifle seems to not be liked by many people, so I am leaning toward the AR platform. Everyone thanks for their advice on the matter.

On a side note, I just reviewed the Remington Model 700 .223 5R. That one looks like it could very much fit the bill. I was not set on the FN by any means, but it had alot of out of the box specs that I was looking for in a Bolt Action. This seems to be very similar spec-wise, but has the Model 700 versatility to mod when that time comes, which for me will be a while but..... I don't know how I missed this one, its not listed on the Remington website that I can tell.
Out of curiousity though. I've seen 2 of these, one is a 20" barrel and the other a 24" barrel. What would be the barrel length preference and why?

Last edited by BLACKND; 08-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any time!!

not saying you had to change the barrel,,, its just a nice option to have.

another option could be a cheap Stevens 200 in 223, i bought one at Academy a couple years ago for $250, and bought a 7mm08 a few weeks later for $175
Ive killed crows out to 250 with it and coyotoes out to ~375. i love that lil gun. cheap, shoots great (tula crap shot 1.25"-.75" at 100yds). and you wont cry when it falls off the 4wheeler doin 50mph and gets beat up.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLACKND
Yes, I actually do realize that barrels don't last forever, however, I don't want to buy a rifle and feel like I have to change it out first thing either to have a weapon that will do what I want. I'm not going for a competition weapon here, just something that I can have fun with and accomplish the task at hand. I will take a look at the remington 5R model 700 though.

Thats one of the reasons I was kind of ruling out the .22-250, as I know its hard on barrels. And I know the hogue stock on the FN rifle seems to not be liked by many people, so I am leaning toward the AR platform. Everyone thanks for their advice on the matter.

On a side note, I just reviewed the Remington Model 700 .223 5R. That one looks like it could very much fit the bill. I was not set on the FN by any means, but it had alot of out of the box specs that I was looking for in a Bolt Action. This seems to be very similar spec-wise, but has the Model 700 versatility to mod when that time comes, which for me will be a while but..... I don't know how I missed this one, its not listed on the Remington website that I can tell.
Out of curiousity though. I've seen 2 of these, one is a 20" barrel and the other a 24" barrel. What would be the barrel length preference and why?
Just food for thought the Hogue stocks are not all that great. They suffer from flex and can lead to acuracy issues. The HS Precision stock is fiberglass and is much more rigid.

Now onto your other question.

20" shorter, lighter, slower velocity at the same load

24" heavier, longer, faster velocity at the same load

I would choose the 24" here are my reasons.

I dont mind the extra weight or overall length. I do however reload so I can load it lighter and get the same speed and my brass will last longer. On a 223 this isn't a big deal, but when the brass I use is a $1 each I tend to try and make it last as long as possible.

Forgive me for being rather straight forward. You did however post in the long range thread which I assumed your main goal was to shoot longer distances.

The remington milspec 5R is a none cataloge item. They only make a certain number each year and they are fitted in their custom shop. I have owned both the 300WM and the 308 5Rs and they are a really nice entry rifle for shooting longer distances. My advice (when you are ready) is the have the stock bedded and buy a trigger or have the remington trigger tweaked. Those 2 things and a bunch of ammo can really make that rifle shine as long as you do your part.

Here is a little background on the 308 Milspec 5R its a good little read.

http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

A word of warning.... Remingtons have a huge aftermarket and **** gets pricey quick. Proof is below.... Remington 5R 300WM I built earlier this year.

Last edited by sprayed99; 08-31-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
wow thats crazy..
gonna have to post pics when you get it!!
should have pics soon. Just got word it will be here next week.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed99
Just food for thought the Hogue stocks are not all that great. They suffer from flex and can lead to acuracy issues. The HS Precision stock is fiberglass and is much more rigid.

Now onto your other question.

20" shorter, lighter, slower velocity at the same load

24" heavier, longer, faster velocity at the same load

I would choose the 24" here are my reasons.

I dont mind the extra weight or overall length. I do however reload so I can load it lighter and get the same speed and my brass will last longer. On a 223 this isn't a big deal, but when the brass I use is a $1 each I tend to try and make it last as long as possible.

Forgive me for being rather straight forward. You did however post in the long range thread which I assumed your main goal was to shoot longer distances.

The remington milspec 5R is a none cataloge item. They only make a certain number each year and they are fitted in their custom shop. I have owned both the 300WM and the 308 5Rs and they are a really nice entry rifle for shooting longer distances. My advice (when you are ready) is the have the stock bedded and buy a trigger or have the remington trigger tweaked. Those 2 things and a bunch of ammo can really make that rifle shine as long as you do your part.

Here is a little background on the 308 Milspec 5R its a good little read.

Remington 700 Milspec 5R - Sniper Central

A word of warning.... Remingtons have a huge aftermarket and **** gets pricey quick. Proof is below.... Remington 5R 300WM I built earlier this year.

Pretty rifle!! I to like the longer barrels. I have them from 22 to 30 inches. One thing I have never been to keen on is people loading for FPS. I find a good load the crony it to get the fps and do my drops charts. I just look for all the pressure signs while testing my loads.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sako M995 30-378wthrby mag

Name:  photo3-1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  229.4 KB

Name:  photo1-1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  188.2 KB
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got any recipes for that thing? My dad wants me to reload for ours, be nice to have a good starting point.