WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Question about Gun training for miltary, police, or other wise

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 783 Likes on 649 Posts
Default Question about Gun training for miltary, police, or other wise

I was under the impression that when you received training whether it be military, police, security, self defense, and so on that you were taught to shoot to kill in life threatening situations. I have never received any formal training so I am curious.

So my question would be do they tech you to empty a clip if that's what it takes to stop a threat or do they tech you self control like 1 shot and to stop when you see that you have caused enough injury to stop a person???
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a military cop. We are taught to continue to use the appropriate amount of force until the subject stops doing the action. So if they are hopped up on PCP or something and keep coming you have to do what you have to do.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Escalate your force level one above your attacker. If attacker has a knife use a gun, ROE varies also based on the location and situation. As Andy said, you stop the threat. Period.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Makes since. What do they classify as the threat being stopped???

I realise every situation is going to be different and every Branch of military/ law enforcement is going to be different. Hell every state will have it own set of rules too.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Know your local laws and the general climate for defensive action in your area. I live in Alaska, if I shoot and kill an intruder I will most likely be commended for having good aim.... if you live in Chicago you killed a potential future congressman according to the press, good luck justifying killing that piece of trash. Defending yourself with a firearm whether you are a private citizen or employed to potentially use force will lead to a legal nightmare and a shitload of lawyer debt and will **** up your life. I carry daily and I fully understand that if the **** hits the fan I will defend my life, but I also am aware of the consequences of my actions... It will be tough to explain to law enforcement and the justice system why there is a dead person next to me and not end up in jail.

As far as "training" goes, no matter what you have been taught the bottom line will always be to elimiate the threat. Eliminating the threat is defined as continuing the use of force until the potential hazard is done being a potential hazard. As a relatively loose definition it is usually clear even to the common eye when someone is reacting versus when someone is acting. In fear you might pop off 3-5 rounds, in malice you might empty a magazine and hell you might even reload... Good luck defending that to a jury of your peers.

I encourage everyone to have the ability to defend themselves against potential threats. I started carrying a firearm daily when I lived in Atlanta, GA and worried about my personal safety. I read up on local laws, made sure I knew what I was getting in to and the potentail concerns. I also accepted the fact that if I was to use my weapon in the defense of myself or someone in distress that it would not have a positive outcome. I still continue to carry and if the occasion arises that I have to defend myself or someone else I will do so to the best of my ability but I also know that it will be a huge burden both emotionally and financially.

To answer your initial question directly... empty a "clip" and have fun paying your lawyer to keep you out of jail. If you carry educate yourself on the reality of it and what the potential concerns are. Keep in mind it is intended for defense, not offense. Don't carry a weapon to be tough or right, that will only end badly.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

It was more a mater of curiosity. I didn't want to start a political discussion just yet anyways. LOL

I know every situation is going to be different and your right's will differ from state to state.

A recent case in the media made me curious. IMO an intruder is a threat... But I don't know all the fact's. I figured since I had no formal Gun training or any self defense training I should get more info.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he raises a good point, and has pretty much summed it up
Old 11-30-2012, 01:24 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Several years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to a guy trying to break the front door of my duplex open, then breaking glass. My neighbors woke up before me, and called the police. The police showed up while I was putting on pants & grabbing a gun.

The guy was drunk(****-faced drunk) and thought he had staggered home. He broke his key off in my front door. But he was determined to get inside, obviously.

I asked the Wasilla officer about the situation. If that guy had gotten inside, and not left when confronted, I would have shot him. I was told to make sure if that happens, make sure that he doesn't get back outside. And if he gets outside, to drag him back in.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Several years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to a guy trying to break the front door of my duplex open, then breaking glass. My neighbors woke up before me, and called the police. The police showed up while I was putting on pants & grabbing a gun.

The guy was drunk(****-faced drunk) and thought he had staggered home. He broke his key off in my front door. But he was determined to get inside, obviously.

I asked the Wasilla officer about the situation. If that guy had gotten inside, and not left when confronted, I would have shot him. I was told to make sure if that happens, make sure that he doesn't get back outside. And if he gets outside, to drag him back in.
Crazy bastard is lucky your neighbors called...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always told people whom ask to empty as many rounds as needed to stop the attack. However, that being said, many jarheads out there are under the presumption that two to the chest and one to the face is the way to go. And who can blame them, it's how we're trained. However, while that mentality may not send you to jail, the civil suit to follow would be killer. Kind of hard to say you were panicked in that situation. Hence the "empty the magazine" phrase. Rule of thumb, no head shots, no shooting in the back, never shoot to wound, don't use handloads as lawyers tend to frown upon that, if your magazine holds more than 10 rounds make sure you have a few left over, never meet an intruder outside nor follow him. If he runs away, let him and call the police. If he's outside your home, make him come to you. You know your home better than he does which gives you one hell of an advantage. Lastly, never forget what you're protecting. I.e. your family. Do what you have to in order to keep them safe.

Quick Reply: Question about Gun training for miltary, police, or other wise