WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Starting my AR build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have less than $700 in my wifes new set up...if that helps you any...I replied to you on customgm about that upper too!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you look you can get a BCG for sub $125, and PSA had them for $100. For a truck gun, that is all you would have needed, don't buy in to the "buy one, cry once" theme. Some guys just want to justify big money. Some times I agree, but on a beater gun, you don't need frills or "big name" just to show off.

wifes birthday present on saturday

Once again, that is under $700, and all I need is a rear sight, or a riser and optics. Which buis will do fine for now.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

polymer, it is polymer, and the same was said about Glock and other guns, and after MANY years, they have performed well, well enough that revolvers are now going polymer...it cuts on weight and cost.

He want's a budget build. It isn't "skimping" out, we aren't talking about ordering low quality ****, what you fail to realize is, the barrel is the most important thing here. A lower means ****, all they do is house the trigger assembly. And you can get a LPK for under $70 if you know how to shop.

My thoughts, if you know nothing about them, don't knock them, I have a build with the BEST OF THE BEST, and the NFA lower goes bang just as often as my spikes with battle trigger and anti roll pins etc

also, feel free to venture over to 68forums, where those guys take hunting with AR's to extreme, and there are several guys running both PC and NFA polymer lowers on a very nice, quality upper, and have yet to have an issue, they use their guns, and quite often mind you!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have had 2 more poly lowers returned cause they were broken.
The problem is there is nothing metal in them for strength. If you have dissassembled an XD there is a metal frame everything is based off of. the poly attaches to the metal. So bascially the metal is taking all the abuse.

Theres a big difference in a poly gun and a poly housed gun

I havent broken my Spikes, Bushmaster, nor Delton lowers. And a few of them get seriously abused.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats why i suggested a Delton Kit to Cody, when they are in stock you can have a complete rifle for under $575. And they shoot 2moa at 300yds with Wolf/Tula ammo. Thats not too shabby for a (cheap) rifle.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spike is made by Aero precision, who in turn makes several other lowers...my point was, it was a QUALITY lower (actually, my take down pin sticks, and I won't buy another spike's due to their customer service, but **** happens, and I understand this, mine is very rare of an issue).

The gun is a "truck gun" and used for hogs, nothing that the proven polymer lowers can't handle. PC has been out for a while, and the NFA are even better products, and yes, even the forged lowers can screw up. You can break an "ear" off if not careful, or this can happen...http://marylandshooter.com/ar15/Funny/1t3g28.jpg

you do know these accept milspec lpk's right? I am not pushing the NFA lower, as I won't buy another, seeing as I know how to build a lower, and quite cheap, I bought it for my wife for weight and cost. It was complete for $99+FFL, which only if you are lucky and get a lower for under $70, and a lpk for $60, and stock kit for $60 will you be slightly close. It will, on most cases cost you $200 for a forged complete lower, he asked me about my build and cost and what I would do FOR HIS situation, and I am giving it.

1slow, I will continue my pm on customgm and our convo on the firearms thread there so I don't ***** up anything here. My info is posted, and my thoughts.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
We have had 2 more poly lowers returned cause they were broken.
The problem is there is nothing metal in them for strength. If you have dissassembled an XD there is a metal frame everything is based off of. the poly attaches to the metal. So bascially the metal is taking all the abuse.

Theres a big difference in a poly gun and a poly housed gun

I havent broken my Spikes, Bushmaster, nor Delton lowers. And a few of them get seriously abused.

as stated, things can happen, but most of these guys are big time hog hunters

FYI- New Frontier Poly Lower

New Polymer Lower on the market

Anyone try a Plum Crazy Lower for 6.8 yet?

Plum Crazy Manufacturing Polymer Lower Review (Pic Heavy))

just food for thought, I like to add stuff rather than just assume
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Stu you get what you pay for generally when it comes to AR's, minus names like DPMS, RRA, and Bushmaster. Stay FAR away. MUCH better can be bought, for the same price. Look up the company BCM, daniel defense, LaRue tactical, Colt, all great names. I personally have a LaRue PredatAR in .308 coming, and already have a few BCM rifles.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok pal
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jared91
Stu you get what you pay for generally when it comes to AR's, minus names like DPMS, RRA, and Bushmaster. Stay FAR away. MUCH better can be bought, for the same price. Look up the company BCM, daniel defense, LaRue tactical, Colt, all great names. I personally have a LaRue PredatAR in .308 coming, and already have a few BCM rifles.

Yikes, he wants a cheap AR not a tier 1.
I have 2 Deltons, 1 bushmaster, and 2 frankensteins with spikes, rra, delton, bushmaster mixed.

If he was fixin to go over seas to do some sure nuff shooting then yea i can see teir 1 stuff is a no brainer. But for a truck / throw around rifle, thats a bit much when it might see about 1000 rds in 3 years.

This is one them kinda deals where you ask 15 people and you get 16 different answers.

The only one id suggest to stay away from is blackthorne. Have had way too many bad dealings with them.

Quick Reply: Starting my AR build