WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

suggestions for long rifle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I am fond of a off the shelf round, 06 or 308. Just my op, but some custom rounds will or could poss be better
Niether one of those are going to be much fun for 1200yd shots especially if there is any wind.

Chase, Im pretty sure Danny knows more about guns than I ever thought about so Id listen to him.

There are a ton of places to read up on reloading, and the cost like everything else solely depends on what you want. You can get setup for 400ish real easy, but if you want to go with a progressive, rcbs scale and a brass tumbler youre looking closer to 1000 but its all nice stuff. Theres even more expensive stuff out there but as with anything there is a happy medium.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as reloading a single stage is the optimum set up for precision loading. I only use redding dies as the quality is second to none. I hand measure each charge. All my brass is weight sorted and neck turned for the closest consistancy as possible. Hell even my primer seating depth is kept in check. The cartridge selection is rather a mute point as I can think of easily over to dozen that would be great out to 1200. The 338LM is way more cartridge than one would ever need unless they are stepping out to a mile and beyond.

There are some great out of the box rifles out there, but MOA or just barely under MOA is not what I'm after when shooting and loading. I strive for a combination that will give me consistant .5 MOA or better performance as long as I can shoot that well on that given day.

savages are nice out of the box, but lack in several areas when considering precision same thing with remington. Overall Remington is my choice over a savage simply because the aftermarket support and the resale value. If I build a remington I know if I want to sell it in the future I wont lose my *** on it.

Caliber selection in no particular order

6.5x47 Lapua
7mm-08
7 WSM
300 WM
300 WSM

and so on and so on

I tend to stay away from the RUM because brass selection is limited and barrel life sucks.

I do know of a few nice custom rifles out there for sale, but that all depends on budget.

I will say this...

minimum will be 3K to get you into a rifle that you use at this range (optics included)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks danny , exactly what i wanted to hear, im headed out to friends house to clean up my 870 as it has been neglected since ive got my own house a few years ago.

i may stop by turners and pick up some ammo if i can find it for the .50ae but ill try and give ya ring a bit later.

if i can find a rifle that is pretty good out of the box and can find some off the shelf ammo to do what i want i may be satisfied. i tend to get into hobbies like this pretty serious at times . i had been on a tool kick for a while and bought a bridegport mill and a small 12" lathe , never got to setting them up as i intend building a nice shop in the back ( i have a 2/3 acre lot) which is pretty big in my area of so cal so i can enjoy these hobbies without pissing the better half off with mess's everywhere. so lets see where this road takes me .
Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody has mentioned anything about a scope yet. It's as important as the rifle you choose. You can't hit your target if you can't see it. You'll likely need to spend as much or more for a scope and mount than you spend on your rifle if you want it to be the 800yd tack driver you dream of.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Niether one of those are going to be much fun for 1200yd shots especially if there is any wind.

Chase, Im pretty sure Danny knows more about guns than I ever thought about so Id listen to him.

There are a ton of places to read up on reloading, and the cost like everything else solely depends on what you want. You can get setup for 400ish real easy, but if you want to go with a progressive, rcbs scale and a brass tumbler youre looking closer to 1000 but its all nice stuff. Theres even more expensive stuff out there but as with anything there is a happy medium.
Yah, I just seen the title, posted, didn't read the actual post.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swift700
Nobody has mentioned anything about a scope yet. It's as important as the rifle you choose. You can't hit your target if you can't see it. You'll likely need to spend as much or more for a scope and mount than you spend on your rifle if you want it to be the 800yd tack driver you dream of.
Just my opinion but you dont need a 2K nightforce to shoot good. There are some very good and capable alternatives for the $500 range especially since it looks like he will not be going with a real hard hitting round like a 338Lapua or 416 or 375 cheytac etc.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my experience in the last few years, my family gets a lot of guns and the ones the don't shoot sub moa get taken back. There have been several remington m700s in various calibers and plenty savages, kimbers, sakos, and others. The only ones that are up to par are the savages. They are dam accurate out of the box. We reload for everything as well. I'll put money on a savage if I had to take to brand new rifles off the shelf in a shoot off. Savage vs r700. Id bet the savagebetter. If you wanna get in the long range game this is my recommendation. Savage 110
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my experience in the last few years, my family gets a lot of guns and the ones the don't shoot sub moa get taken back. There have been several remington m700s in various calibers and plenty savages, kimbers, sakos, and others. The only ones that are up to par are the savages. They are dam accurate out of the box. We reload for everything as well. I'll put money on a savage if I had to take to brand new rifles off the shelf in a shoot off. Savage vs r700. Id bet the savage is better. If you wanna get in the long range game this is my recommendation. Savage 110 fcp hs precision in 300 winmag. Put a good leupold mark m4 on it. And call it a day.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Just my opinion but you dont need a 2K nightforce to shoot good. There are some very good and capable alternatives for the $500 range especially since it looks like he will not be going with a real hard hitting round like a 338Lapua or 416 or 375 cheytac etc.
You are right...

Last edited by sprayed99; 03-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lglowe
In my experience in the last few years, my family gets a lot of guns and the ones the don't shoot sub moa get taken back. There have been several remington m700s in various calibers and plenty savages, kimbers, sakos, and others. The only ones that are up to par are the savages. They are dam accurate out of the box. We reload for everything as well. I'll put money on a savage if I had to take to brand new rifles off the shelf in a shoot off. Savage vs r700. Id bet the savage is better. If you wanna get in the long range game this is my recommendation. Savage 110 fcp hs precision in 300 winmag. Put a good leupold mark m4 on it. And call it a day.
I agree with you on most of the above, but I know Chase and he would be better off buying something with good resale or buy a used custom build. He will want to build something badass and sell his starter gun in a short amount of time. Been around him for a hood while and he is on the " ***** to the wall" list for sure lol.

BTW where have you found the HS precision 300 WM in stock? I have been looking since January.

Quick Reply: suggestions for long rifle