WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

suggestions for long rifle

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done this a few times out..
this target i was getting my 300wm on a 600yd zero the day before an Fclass match.
Shots 1,2,3 were off to the right about a foot. Then Shots 4,5,6 measured about 2.5", adjusted the scope again and shots 7,8,9 measured 1.5" at 600yds.. i was happy.
I ended up getting first in the Open class that match. Its amazing what you can do if you concentrate

Ive been wanting to stretch it on out to 1800yds but weekends are getting so busy..
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
I frequent shooting 1000 yards.

This is how its starts first start with the round.

7mm wsm or 7mm-300wsm (Yes there is a slight difference) The neck on the 7mm-300wsm is slightly longer for more bearing surface. This is critical when shooting longer bullets like Berger 180gr VLDs.

IE effeicency is what your looking for. Another great round is the .284 winchester with 162gr A-Max bullets.

Barrels are the next thing. I can say Broughton barrels for .284 and .264 are among the highest quality for those bore diameters. Others included are Kreiger and Bartlein as well.

Actions, Defiance, Bighorn or APA.

Stocks, Mcmillan or Manners

Triggers, Timney are good Jewell are among the best for a single stage. But most will be happy with a Timney.

Rings and bases........ Badger Ordanance.

Scope at least look into spending 1k my Schmidt 5-25pm2 was over 3k several years ago! Tracking and durability is the key then comes clairty.

For a gunsmith I recommend Jered Joplin at APA. Hes built me 2 hammers that are almost unbelieveable. My 6.5-284 shot 2" group at 600 yards from a Harris bipod from a picnic table, my 7mm-300wsm shot a .416" group at 356 yards and I regulary take that gun to 1000, nailing a 14" plate steel. My scope will get me a little over 2000 yards as is. His work is very hard to beat, but when buiding a gun from the ground up it starts with the caliber, then the throat is cut for a certin bullet. Its really built as a complete package.
I agree Jered is awesome and I have shot some of his rifles.... WOW.

You might also want to include Stller Precision for actions and defiance and APA are one in the same.

Barrels also dont overlook Rock Creek and Obermeyer

FYI there is a very nice 300WM jered put together for sale right now and its a pretty good price and is a complete package with a 5.5-22x56 NF NXS on it.

Badger makes nice stuff but a bit pricey IMO. You could also look at Nightforce and Seekins precision..

On a side note I can't wait for APAs new rings.... SEXY!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Defiance made APA's for a second though I thought Phoenix did. Hes very picky and has become a friend of mine over the years. hell of a good guy and prolly one of the top ranking smiths in the nation
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed99
LOL... now seriously please don't post in here unless you have experience with shooting the mentioned distances.

Yes for your deer rig it would probably be fine, but I know you don't ever use your turrets to actually account for elevation or windage adjustments other than sighting in your zero. This is evident from your above post.

Clarity is the last perk you are looking for when buying a long range scope. Overall function and durability are of the utmost importance.
For the past 6 years I've been making a living behind a rifle. I've shot out to 1000yds with the M107, the rifle in the pic at the top of this thread.

Here is the full target. I was testing different loads to see what groups best. Ill be moving to target to 300yds. Then 500. 500yds is about the farthest I can shoot around here. How do you know what I use my elevation and windage ***** for.
I have $500 invested in my rifle and I'm very happy with the way it preforms.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please elaborate on this 500 wonder scope. The lowest price long range scope that I would trust is a vortex PST in sfp which is 750.00. Nothing under 750 tracks worth a **** . Trust me been down that road.
Plenty of people including myself have shot just fine without the aid of a fancy scope. Especially if you sight it in at the magnification youre going to be using while shooting the long shots. My remington 700 in 300wsm with a leupold vxl and federal ballistic tips will group on the small ring of a paper plate(~8") at 600yds. Id venture to say with some handloads and someone who can actually shoot(not myself ) that could get even better. I believe if nothing else Nonnie has proven that you dont need expensive glass with some of the crap hes done. Of course I believe hes a better marksman than 99.99% of the people out there as well as being well versed in reloading. Which is why I asked if he was going to be reloading as that seems to be the most important aspect of precision shooting.

Youre not the only one with an opinion that could be right, ease up on the other guys.
Originally Posted by usmc3521
I wouldn't bet against the ol' 06 at 1200 yards. Sure, it's not the flattest shooting round on the planet, but it is one of the most versitile. Right now im sending 190gr smk to 1200yrds without issues at 2800fps. Granted my 06 has been customized including a 28in Hart barrel.
Oh Im not saying its not a good round, just out of the other ones to be considered I wouldnt go with it. Its like having a cammed and big converter setup versus a radix truck, they both turn about the same numbers but one does it easier.

Id really like to build a true tack driver but I believe a cheap, fun AR build will be first along with getting a couple more XD pistols and finally a mid-grade 1911. I was all set to order an AR kit and it didnt tell me til the last step they were out of stock.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sprayed 99,... Alton britt at Dixie precision rifles is doing my gun. He got me a # 9 5r 9 twist blank I think? They build some wicked guns. And I don't think building a 7wsm is out of the ordinary on the small shanks. If I'm not mistaken all normal savages are small shank. I was shooting my uncles savage model 16 bear hunter in 300 wsm today.1/2 moa shooter by the way! Ha ha
Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as scopes go I have one of the millet 6-25x56 and its not bad at all for the price. Iv cranked it up to past 800-1000 yards several times on my 308. It tracks pretty good and returns pretty decent too.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Plenty of people including myself have shot just fine without the aid of a fancy scope. Especially if you sight it in at the magnification youre going to be using while shooting the long shots. My remington 700 in 300wsm with a leupold vxl and federal ballistic tips will group on the small ring of a paper plate(~8") at 600yds. Id venture to say with some handloads and someone who can actually shoot(not myself ) that could get even better. I believe if nothing else Nonnie has proven that you dont need expensive glass with some of the crap hes done. Of course I believe hes a better marksman than 99.99% of the people out there as well as being well versed in reloading. Which is why I asked if he was going to be reloading as that seems to be the most important aspect of precision shooting.

Youre not the only one with an opinion that could be right, ease up on the other guys.

Oh Im not saying its not a good round, just out of the other ones to be considered I wouldnt go with it. Its like having a cammed and big converter setup versus a radix truck, they both turn about the same numbers but one does it easier.

Id really like to build a true tack driver but I believe a cheap, fun AR build will be first along with getting a couple more XD pistols and finally a mid-grade 1911. I was all set to order an AR kit and it didnt tell me til the last step they were out of stock.
You are right I'm a mean person.... I should have been hugged more as a child

Last edited by sprayed99; 03-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by lglowe
As far as scopes go I have one of the millet 6-25x56 and its not bad at all for the price. Iv cranked it up to past 800-1000 yards several times on my 308. It tracks pretty good and returns pretty decent too.
I plan on buying one of those for my 17hmr, seems everyone likes them for the price. Kinda hard to beat 400 for a nice scope.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Not saying I am right I'm speaking from what I have done. I'm not going to ease up on anyone as I'm not busting anyones *****. I'm making myself clear.

When you are hunting paper or steel it may not be that big of deal as you can call a miss if your tracking is not dead on or you didn't call the wind correctly.

I use my guns as tools and shoot at live targets and try as hard as possible to make a ethical shot. Having a junk scope that is "clear" means nothing. No I'm not calling anyones scope junk. Hell you guys may have Wednesday scopes. I have shot plenty of glass and most of the tracking on hunting rifles is junk. Yeah it may have clear glass.

If you don't like my opinion deal with it.... like they say opinions are like ******** everyone has one.

Bottom line if I want a rifle and have a purpose for it I shop or build accordingly. Hell I whitetail hunt with a off the shelf Sako and use a Nikon Monarch as I only shoot 300 yards max.

Now the rifles I use past 300 yards the only variable I want is me and the wind... not my equipment.
Telling the guy to not even talk since he hasn't shot those distances is a jackass move at best. It was just funny that he so happens to be a military marksman and you had no idea. No problem in speaking your mind, just quit being your usual self towards people.

My afore-mentioned 300wsm put the meat in my freezer from an elk at 367yds in a dead run with nothing but a prone position and it was dead nuts.

My axis was taken from 400yds standing

My dad also shot his black buck from 550yds away with the same gun. We use our guns to put meat in the freezer too and we don't need a 2k setup to do it. Maybe you should focus on range time instead of internet warrior'ing it telling people they $1000+ scopes to be accurate. And all those shots were with factory federal nosler loads.

Quick Reply: suggestions for long rifle