WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

Trying to keep myself busy

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to keep myself busy

I am trying to keep myself in a routine of actively doing something, rather then sitting on my butt all the time like I have been.

I have been staring at this old Marlin rifle of my Dad's for years now. He got it from a friend that passed away. The story is the guys house caught on fire, and the gun got very wet. It then sat for a year or more before my Dad got it. Dad wiped it down, but that was about it. It shoots well, and there was nothing limiting the mechanics from working.

Tonight I started tearing it down and this is what I found.

Dad had originally intended re-blue the barrel and paint the rest. As bad as some of the pitting was, it all needed paint. The gun isn't worth any sort of metal work to be able to re-blue it, so paint it was.

I sanded it down with 150 grit and didn't seem to get anywhere. I wiped it down with some wax remover and then sanded it again. From there, it started coming off. I got all the rust off along with all the loose paint. I wiped it down again and then dried it off. I hung it up and sprayed it with some rust to primer stuff. I expected to a few black spots, but what I found was a the barrel completely black. I sprayed it with some high build primer. I expected to have to sand it again, but when I went out to check on it, I found a nice smooth finish, all the lettering showing through clearly.

I had some ceramic flat black high temp paint. I decided to spray it with that, thinking it might be resistant to chemicals and what not when I clean it.

Hard to see in the pictures, but all the lettering is still clearly legible.

I know some might not like me painting the gun, but it is cheap old .22. Dad thinks is 60's era gun from what his friend told him. It's a Marlin Model 60.

I was going to spray the stock with bed liner and go for the full satin look, but this stock is real wood. I might sand it down and re-stain it in the future. but for now, the gun will quit rusting.

Last edited by cttandy; 03-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Went out LATE last night to check on the barrel. It was dry, but when I touched it, made weird marks on it. I wiped it down and gave it a very thin coat.

This paint is supposed to be heat cured, so I am thinking I am going to have get it hot before it will fully cure. I am going to try just heating it up with my heat gun. If that doesn't get it, I will have to sand it down and try something different on it.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stick it in the oven on 350 for 30 minutes, I dura coat a few guns a year and they all turn out great. just try to hang it on the rack so it will not stick to the bottom rack.
looking good.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have an oven big enough to stick this thing in. I will try the heat gun see what effect that has.

I have a friend that powder coats, maybe she can stick it in her oven for me.

That just sounds naughty.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

I have an old Model 60. Love it
Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

It is a nice shooting gun. Too nice to just let rust away like that.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Guy on FSC posted his stock he refinished

Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

I got it all back together. Not happy. When I heated it up with the heat gun, the paint started bubbling. I think it is because of the primer I used. Even after being heated and drying for 2 days, the paint still has a tacky rubber like feel. This might be normal for this paint though I am not sure.

Any where the gun oil touched the paint, it immediately etched. I ended up wiping it all down so it would have a even appearance.

The great thing about stuff that you do just to keep busy, easy enough to take it back apart and do it again.

Also, while reassembling it, I found some rust on the slide. That is why it sometimes binds while chambering the first round. Something to fix

I think I might try ceramic brake caliper paint next time. I know from experience it has a nice finish and will resist chemicals when cleaning.

Quick Reply: Trying to keep myself busy