WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

XD owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It was a Pro-Carry Ten II, exactly like this one. Was over $1300 new, I hated it.

my brother owns one has same issues and it only jams when you try to fire cheap ammo or reloads. the gun needs a specific minimum powder load to allow the gun to function properly.we started playing with ammo and had some hot loads that fired fine no trouble. tried some cheap ammo from academy jammed every 3rd round. tried reloads from a local gun shop and same issue. his was brand new he paid 843 for it damn who raped you with 1300???
my kimber i have had no issues for mine while shooting non reloads. my XDM40 springfield also does no like to shoot reloads i bought 100rounds of reloads from a local shop lots of jams failure to feed and eject. this was after 500rounds of break in. but shooting good winchester and federal target loads no troubles. match grade high quality pistols are very picky with ammunition. but what do you expect its like buying a 1300hp 502 BBC and try running it on 87 octane while using penzoil 30w oil.... guns are purely mechanical and just like engines they are picky with ammunition just like fuel and oil combinations.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Jordan, my Kimber UC CPD I was told needs some throat work to allow it to load more smoothly, common on compact stuff. For what little it costs to have it polished, or DIY, I want it to be more reliable. It has jammed on me more than once, which really pisses me off. I plan to go to a lil bigger Kimber on my next purchase, but the XD's have gained quite a following. I'd like to shoot an XD as well. It's not like I need 1 of either, but I'd surely consider buyin an XD. I need to pay off some things 1st before goin gun shopping of any kind.
my kimber UC II has had 700rounds through it the only feed issues i have had is when i used wilson combat magazines in it. the factory kimber 7rd mags i can blast through all 4 of them no trouble i throw an 8rd aftermarket in there and it has failure to feed issues every 3rd round and wont even load the last 2 in the magazine
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Which model, exactly? I'm curious.

I guess I have not. The compact stuff like an Ultra, ya maybe. Yes, some are $1200, some less, some more. I was told it'd be ~$30 to polish throat. Or DIY. Said it was common on many compacts.

While I can appreciate the XD's, or any fine piece, I wouldn't run 1000's of rounds & not clean it. Any gun. Even tho mine needs to be cleaned.

I wouldn't say the LAPD S.W.A.T., military, or Olympic Shooting Team are dissatified w/. Kimber. Or public. I was told, they can't keep up w/. huge demand of military & police. They are the #1 selling 1911. By a bunch.

Curious, why a 9 not a .40? No pissing match, just wanna know.
Glad u like your piece.

I chose a 9mm to help my wife learn to shoot & not be as afraid of it as she felt of the larger caliber. The ammo is also cheaper & we have a range membership to USSA so I like to go shoot as often as possible. Makes it a more affordable hobby in 9mm. I have actually come to really like this little 9mm, its got great capacity & if you buy the right rounds its got plenty of stopping power as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

If I could only figure out to put pics on here using my iPhone. I have a xdm40 and put a crimson trace laser on it help with hog hunting and gotta say even tho it was $300 it helps when it's pitch black. The hornady taps definitely puts a hurtin on the hogs.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mainly as a sidearm while hunting and home protection, not for carry day to day, would you all recommend the 3.8 or 4.5 for an XDm 40? Pros and cons?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whichever is more comfortable for you.

Personally, I'd never go less than a 4.5" barrel, but some people prefer the more compact 3.5". I guess that's why they make so many choices.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4.5" does fine for me for HD/range/outdoor use. The size makes it difficult to conceal, but since I don't ever plan to use it for that, no worries. I"ll take the extra .7" barrel length for that little bit extra velocity if I'm lining up on a pissed off hog, coyote, etc.

But as mentioned, it truly does come down to personal preference. On a purely superficial level, the 3.8" XDm just looks all goofy and dis-proportioned to me.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I shot several kimber 1911s that had feed and firing issues. After that i never really limed them especially for the money.
Ive shot my XD up to bout 3k times before i cleaned it one time. Never had any issues with it with reloads or factory ammo.
I have a springfield 1911 now and workin on 1000rds now, loving it! I like it more than the XDs i have. Dunno why but it goes with me now if im goin outside or the farm. XD SC 40 is still my carry peice.
Jonathan, see my last comment to TX 'hoe on fit betw. XD & XDm.

Originally Posted by Faster150
my brother owns one has same issues and it only jams when you try to fire cheap ammo or reloads. the gun needs a specific minimum powder load to allow the gun to function properly.we started playing with ammo and had some hot loads that fired fine no trouble. tried some cheap ammo from academy jammed every 3rd round. tried reloads from a local gun shop and same issue. his was brand new he paid 843 for it damn ... 1300???
my kimber i have had no issues for mine while shooting non reloads. my XDM40 springfield also does no like to shoot reloads i bought 100rounds of reloads from a local shop lots of jams failure to feed and eject. this was after 500rounds of break in. but shooting good winchester and federal target loads no troubles. match grade high quality pistols are very picky with ammunition. but what do you expect its like buying a 1300hp 502 BBC and try running it on 87 octane while using penzoil 30w oil.... guns are purely mechanical and just like engines they are picky with ammunition just like fuel and oil combinations.

My kimber UC II has had 700rounds through it the only feed issues i have had is when i used wilson combat magazines in it. the factory kimber 7rd mags i can blast through all 4 of them no trouble i throw an 8rd aftermarket in there and it has failure to feed issues every 3rd round and wont even load the last 2 in the magazine
I think the 1300 502 is pretty clever analogy.

Sounds similiar to me. I really need to clean mine & see. And I'm not sure how rds. I put thru my UC CDP.I might only have fired 300, but it may be more. I fire my than 1 gun, & don't really keep track of that, maybe I should. Shop today said 500 is considered break-in for em.

I too have Wilson Combat mags. And I still want another Kimber. I'll post a pic tomorrow of which one I'd love to get, it's a hi end piece; for carry is my intent, tho I may get a different 1 than pic. Or a few Kimbers, a Colt or a few, another S&W.

Roger, all this talk on guns lately & I wanted to see what was new, so I had to go to visit a shop & asked about your former Pro-Carry Ten II. Said they had nothin but problems, which is why they disc. em. Lotta issues w/. a poly piece he said, barring a Glock, he was a Glock nut. Yet wore a 1911, a Colt Govt.

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Mainly as a sidearm while hunting and home protection, not for carry day to day, would you all recommend the 3.8 or 4.5 for an XDm 40? Pros and cons?
While Roger is right by sayin, "whichever is more comfortable for you."
I don't remember seeing TX 'Hoe say anything bout a 3.5" Roger, just a 3.8".

So many choices. Since not carry, & bigger is usu. better for accuracy, IMO, the 4 1/2". I have big hands, so I liked the XD fit more but backstraps may be able to change my mind.

black00chev u said, "What would you guys suggest for a first time handgun buyer? I was thinking 3.8" (the non compact model) XDm .40S&W. Only pistol ive shot before is a .357 with hot rounds."

See comment to TX 'hoe. Also, for carry or what? After checked out XD's & XDm's today, my impression. I like plain ole XD, not the -m vers. It doesn't fit my hand right, seems too narrow, but they offer backstraps w/. it. Maybe I'll acquire a XD 45 or 40 1 day, we'll see.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-14-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added pic.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

i have a .357 sig xd ported barrell 4" , i think trijacon sights not sure what you call them. and trigger job. its the only one out there per the custum shop at springfield armory.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Faster150
match grade high quality pistols are very picky with ammunition. but what do you expect its like buying a 1300hp 502 BBC and try running it on 87 octane while using penzoil 30w oil.... guns are purely mechanical and just like engines they are picky with ammunition just like fuel and oil combinations.

Not quite the same....An XDM isn't "match grade" by any means no matter what SA will tell you. It's closer to a loaded honda. The tolerances should be loose enough to shoot a variance of ammo and if it doesn't, I'd send it back to Springer.

Quick Reply: XD owners