WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

XD Slim 45 coming in March!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, just wish they would get rid of the grip safety.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you not like it? It's not going anywhere since it gets them points on the stupid ATF importation scale otherwise they'd have to make it heavier and/or longer.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't like thumb/grip safeties on any gun that might be used for social purposes. I don't want to have to think about my grip or thumbing a safety to get my weapon in the fight.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Have you actually fired one? It's pretty much impossible to grip it correctly without depressing the grip safety.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you plan on firing it without having the grip safety engaged?

*edit* beat me too it.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Have you actually fired one? It's pretty much impossible to grip it correctly without depressing the grip safety.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That gun is very sexy. When do you think the .40 and 9 will be released?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had an original XD for years, it was the first handgun I bought when I was 21. I love it, but it's just a range gun for me. I also love 1911s and have a couple of them, but I won't carry them for defensive purposes.

There are two reasons. When you're under that critical stress the first thing you lose is fine motor skills. Also, in a defensive situation you are going to reacting to a threat. You may have already been shot, stabbed, hit with a blunt object or whatever by the time you register a threat and react. Any of those can force you into an awkward hold on the gun, which may or may not engage the grip safety. It will also make working a thumb safety more difficult.

I carry a Sig P220 on duty, and a Kahr/Glock/M&P off duty. All of which don't have grip or thumb safeties, so all you have to do is pull the trigger. I'm not trying to start a big argument, just thought I would explain myself. It's just my personal opinion on defensive firearms.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck even firing a gun safely if you can't get a good grip on it. I still don't see how you could possibly fire the gun without placing your hand around the back of the handle. Seems like one of those 'what if' arguments that leads nowhere.

What if you get both your arms blown off?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
I've had an original XD for years, it was the first handgun I bought when I was 21. I love it, but it's just a range gun for me. I also love 1911s and have a couple of them, but I won't carry them for defensive purposes.

There are two reasons. When you're under that critical stress the first thing you lose is fine motor skills. Also, in a defensive situation you are going to reacting to a threat. You may have already been shot, stabbed, hit with a blunt object or whatever by the time you register a threat and react. Any of those can force you into an awkward hold on the gun, which may or may not engage the grip safety. It will also make working a thumb safety more difficult.

I carry a Sig P220 on duty, and a Kahr/Glock/M&P off duty. All of which don't have grip or thumb safeties, so all you have to do is pull the trigger. I'm not trying to start a big argument, just thought I would explain myself. It's just my personal opinion on defensive firearms.
I can respect your opinion, I don't necessarily see the validity of it but being comfortable with whatever you're carrying is the most important aspect of a gun so whatever works for you. I don't think on the compacts(shorter grip) that you could even fire it without your hand being where the grip safety is. Possibly on the fullsize grips though.

Stephen, I haven't read anything on the smaller caliber release date.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pin the saftey
its really easy

Quick Reply: XD Slim 45 coming in March!!!