Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

AZ Guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:26 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting one of those electric superchargers BEFORE the Radix Gonna supercharge the supercharger hells yeah!

Actually....I'm looking for an LQ9 right now, gonna do that with a good cam and either the 2.75" pulley or 3", hoping to make mid-12's when I'm finished.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Shut up! Sounds like thunder's gettin' a smaller pulley maybe? Perhaps some alky or giggle gas.

As for me I'll just be gutter sucking....
I know that you have something up your sleeve... trying to keep quite, and asking questions about some turbo stuff hmmm. What do you have in mind... are you in the sketching things up phases or the already the prototype phases. Those Dmaxx turbos will be hard to get running right i think.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
I'm getting one of those electric superchargers BEFORE the Radix Gonna supercharge the supercharger hells yeah!

Actually....I'm looking for an LQ9 right now, gonna do that with a good cam and either the 2.75" pulley or 3", hoping to make mid-12's when I'm finished.
Well I will be damn, you will be doing some serious hualin. I will look around here and see if I come across anything and I will let you know.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Actually....I'm looking for an LQ9 right now

www.car-part.com I don't know of any LQ9's but theres a few LQ4's in Phx area.

Why the 9 and not the 4?

As for the d-max turbos, I was just seeing the technology out there. Garrett has finally gotten on the ball with the VATN line, but I'll have to sell my soul to afford one of those. Plus, I had no idea they were PCM controlled. That's a pisser. I have a Bill of Materials made up and all the plans ready to go. Just waiting to hear back from a few other places. Then I'll need to get the ***** to order everything. I have a really interesting, never been done before, plan too. But....

I'm still debating whether or not I should drive my car on the "Autobahn" to work everyday while my truck is under construction. I'll probably just do things a little at a time and then thrash for 48hours 1 weekend.

Oh yeah how's the TI-89 workin' out for you?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:45 AM
High on diesel fumes

I found some LQ9's on car-part, but they wanted $2500 for them. I have another thread open about it, and someone told me the block heads and crank are the same on the 4 and the 9, the only difference is the pistons and rods. So....I may buy an LQ4 and the rotating assemble from an LQ9 (if I can find one) and "make" the LQ9.

I think the LQ9 is capable of more power, I've been told that the internals are stronger, and I have talked to several people that have told me that the LQ9 will do fine up to somewhere around 9 or 10 psi, which is more than I will be running. I think even with the smallest pulley available and a good cam I will be lucky to push 8, so I should be in the safe zone. I don't know if the LQ4 would get me where I want to go.

If any of you come across an LQ9 for a good price, let me know. Otherwise I am going to be keeping a lookout for the internals from an LQ9, then I'll get the 4 and swap the parts.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO I think that the LQ4 will just be fine pushing it around 10 PSI. The thing is not to get detonation on that bastard. I dont know... I am split between people saying the LQ4 is so much better than the LQ9 for blown applications, But I think with the LQ9 you can run a little less PSI and and still make the same amount of power. Look at the new GTO's they are in the high 10's for compression ratio and they are getting blown and turboed... but yeah they are lighter. I would say go for the LQ9... it would not hurt you for sure, and increase the boost as you tune for it.

Oh and if you are going to get the rotating assembley for the LQ9 and get the LQ4 I think it is going to be a pain in the *** (as far as cost and putting everything together), you might as well get a 4" crank or buy a short block 408... but I better stop there and quit giving you ideas.

Oh and Todd if I ever have to take another math class in my life the first thing I am going to do is buy me one of these ( I might take some more math classes for grad school) I cant believe I used the 83, Holy crap this thing is much awesome. This 89 is blown and running some meth!!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Yeah, what sold me was talking to BigTex, Allen Nelson, and Bryan Herter. They all told me it was doable. I understand that you have to be more careful with higher compression and boost, so I think a lot of people are defaulting to the "safe" side, but I don't think a lot of them have any actualy experience with it.

I was thinking about a 408, but I don't want my gas mileage to be absolute crap, just semi-crap. I get 13.5 or so on a regular basis, I wouldn't mind losing a mile per gallon or so, but I don't want to end up below 12 if I can help it. I think the 408 would take me below 12.

Man...I made it through Calc II, III, Diff EQ, Linear algebra with my TI-83, where was vanillagorilla to help me out???? Thanks a lot jerk
Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Man...I made it through Calc II, III, Diff EQ, Linear algebra with my TI-83, where was vanillagorilla to help me out???? Thanks a lot jerk
I was probably using my calculator then!!! I made it through Calc 2 with my 83, and then it got drenched in the rain, through my bag. I said screw it and got an 89 and never looked back. It's the only reason I decided to get a math minor. JK

Anyway, we all know the Radix will never support 500rwhp! HA!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:20 AM
High on diesel fumes

I had a buddy with an 89, I couldn't believe it made stuff so much easier. I didn't know he had it though till my last class.

Hey man 500rwhp or not, I'll still be able to come tow your *** away when we get another monsoon storm and your gutter sucker turns into a water pump
Old 08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

The thing to do now is take you're 83 or 83plus face plate and sell it on ebay. My friend got $50 for his! What these kids are doing, is they take their 89 and replace the face plate with the 83's. Walla, you have a stealth 89 for use on the SAT/ACT/whatever. Pretty shifty huh?

Quick Reply: AZ Guys