Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

California judge rules early cell phone termination fees illegal....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so this is what I found out from Sprint/Nextel. I've been a Nextel customer since before 02 so I really haven't had much of a prob with them till Sprint came along.

The Sprint rep told me there were customers that were charged the termination fee in error. They're so called "contract" was due for renewal, the customer did not opt in, so Sprint charged them. The ruling was for those customers who were charged to get their money back.

Ok... So for those who would like to get out of there Nextel contract, here's a trick. As long as you have the Direct Connect feature part of your contract, you can drop the phone contract and use the same number for another company/contract. What would only be required to pay is the $15/mo for the Direct Connect and to keep the contract active, which I'd only need till April 2009. Take my phone number and go to the new carrier. When the Nextel contract comes up for renewal, decline the offer. The $15/mo direct connect service fee is less than the $200 I'd have to pay upfront.