Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

I'm in a messed up situation and need some serious advise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Update: I'm in a messed up situation and need some serious advise.

Here's the deal, 3 weeks ago I took my truck in to a local stereo shop in Carlsbad, CA to get a full system and alarm installed.

Total Bill was $6000.

This place was supposed to be very reputable and top notch.
Well I must be the exception to the rule for several reasons.

My problems:
1. Stereo has whine in system thats is still not fixed
2. They used the wrong PAC-Audio interface even after I questioned them about their "in stock" unit and I now have no factory chimes and RAP, they also told me that I "was like the first guy to request keeping the factory functions and most people like not having the chimes anyway"
3.They never gave me a detailed receipt for parts and labor just a list of parts and a final total price. I asked for a detailed receipt yesterday and they didn't want to make one for me? WTF. I think I have a right, right?
funny thing is we went over the cost of each unit and labor in pencil on a blank sheet of paper so I don't understand what's the issue?
4.They used parts "other than quoted in the original invoice" without calling me for approval.
5. Charged me $500 for a custom fiberglass box and then built me one out of wood and said it was still $500 because they had to notch it, that it was more than six sides so each additional side was $100.
6. THE BIG ONE!!! they chipped my paint in several places on the interior of the doors, scraped several plastic panels, broke the plastic tabs on the door panels that the screws go into, nicked the leather on the steering wheel, other misc. scrapes to inside of doors, some light surface scratches to exterior paint and other things.

So my question is can you guys help me by giving me ideas on how to reslove this and my legal rights and input from some shop owners as to what I can do?

They have said they will take care of evrything but have yet to contact me with a plan, infact they have not contacted me at all, I've been placing all the calls to them this whole time.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know the law but you can try this approach. See if one of you local TV news stations has a consumer reporter for this kind of stuff. The San Francisco area has KGO channel 7 Micheal Finney and his segment is called "seven on your side". He specializes in these kind of consumer complaints against companies. Once the company has been called out by him to explain what's going on, the situation usually gets resolved. One thing that won't help is to go in all pissed off, cursing and make threats in the heat of the moment. Stay calm and try and get the situation resloved, contact them again and give the one last chance. It may take a while but calm heads will prevail.
Jim
Old 05-26-2004, 10:22 AM
what a rush!

I have been rather friendly this whole time actually, and haven't demanded a thing.......yet. Just asked curious questions and made mental notes of responses.

I was thinking if just submitting this to my insurance co. and letting them handle it but I don't know the pros and cons of going through insurance or without.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you already pay them? I would cancel that. Second get a lawyer. Small claims court make them pay for the damage and make sure you have proof with pictures and tthe receipt. Better business bureau would probably like to here about these guys. I am not one for systems but I ahve had multiple modified trucks and I had engine work done and they totally F'd up my tranny. Let's just say having my grandad as a lawyer really helps. they had to replace the entire thing and all he had to do is soend them a letter threatening class action lawsuite. they were a bunch of prics though.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM
what a rush!

Paid in Full!

Which brings up another thing they told me that didn't sit well with me.
First of all in the state of CA I know we are only required to pay 10% up front for work to be completed.
So the guy at the shop tells me our customers that pay up front get their work done first. I didn't mind paying up front, but that was still a shitty comment IMO.
I wish I would've waited now in retrospect, I kinda feel like a SUCKER!!!

I have pictures!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Call a Lawyer. In OK $6,000 is too big for small claims court. You'd get to dance with the big boys.

I recomend you call your lawyer and let him contact the shop.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Build your case.
-Take plenty of pictures
-Get friends and family to make statement concerning berfore and after
-take your pencil written documents and make copies
-tell them you demand an itemized reciept
-get a lawyer
-don't slander the company on internet boards until your case in heard
Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

I would just fix the stuff myself, and burn the shop down along with the owners house. But thats just me, i'm all for agression. I hate taking chances with companys, thats why i do all the work i can myself.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:24 AM
what a rush!

I won't slander the Co., thats why I have declined to include their name with my posts.

I've had thoughts of aggression, but I would just end up in jail getting over friendly with other than women types.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:31 AM
what a rush!

Snake Eater, I'm a half a step behind you in trusting companies these days.

One of the big reasons I like this message board so much, references and information.

At least I was able to meet Brian with ProjectR and he is a reputable guy, to bad he doesn't do stereo work though.

Quick Reply: I'm in a messed up situation and need some serious advise.